ODESZA electrifies crowd at Glass House

After ODESZA’s anticipated sophomore album, In Return, released in late 2014, fans all over the world became captivated with its irresistible hooks and dreamy indie-electronica atmosphere. Now on tour, the Seattle-based duo delivered on keeping the hype from their previous work that first set them apart from other viral EDM hit producers.

ODESZA took the stage at around 11:15 at The Glass House in Pomona on April 9. Its two openers, Lane 8 and Robert Delong, got the crowd excited for the show, but the audience quickly grew impatient wanting the main act to come on. After Delong played his last song, the extra D.J. equipment on the stage was taken off, and only two clear set tables were placed along side each other in front of a projector screen.

Knowing ODESZA’s stunning trademark for beautifully uplifting music and being a greatly designed brand overall, the audience looked forward to a show filled with lasers, great lighting and videos on the screen behind them to do full justice to the music being produced on stage. The entire atmosphere was euphoric and fit well with ODESZA’s sound.

Members Harrison Mills (a.k.a. Catacombkid) and Clayton Knight (a.k.a. Beaches Beaches) took the stage and opened with “IPlayYouListen.” They continued through the beginning of their set with more music from their 2012 album Summer’s Gone, such as the hit, “How Did I Get Here.”

Their entire set wasn’t only performed on a D.J. pad controller as the duo moved around from their set tables and played on small drum sets for “Memories That You Call.” The group finally unveiled a song from their new album with bringing Shy Girls onstage to play “All We Need.” This marked a change in the setlist where from that point forward  they only used songs from their In Return.

“Sun Models” created a potent atmosphere and the crowd enjoyed the pop-infused, electronic feel that filled the theater. Hues of orange and pink lights surrounded the duo with fog all over the stage that set the tone of their trademark style. The lights and pops of eclectic art that projected on the screen behind them resembled their album cover.

Mills and Knight performed and danced to their popular song “Bloom” right before walking off stage as if their performance was over, though there was no fooling the crowd that filled this room. Everyone yelled for an encore and continuously chanted for their hit song “Say My Name.” After the crowd went in a frenzy, the duo ran back onstage and brought Zyra with them immediately, playing her song “It’s Only.” Everyone was glad to have them back on stage, but they weren’t yet fully satisfied. “Say My Name” was chanted all over the floor and balcony of the venue when the duo finally rewarded the audience with a fantastic performance of one its greatest singles.

Finally, after the crowd got their fix and were ready for the duo to announce their finishing thank yous as they turned off all the lights. But before anyone moved, they surprised their fans with their remix of ZHU’s hit “Faded,” left their D.J. tables, clapping with the crowd and dancing on stage.