Why you must taste all forms of food to truly appreciate culture abroad

Svičková. Jordyn Holman | Daily Trojan

Open Up: An order of svičková. Jordyn Holman | Daily Trojan

This weekend, my taste buds were tested in a way they had never been before. I spent three days in Prague where I promised myself that I would be more adventurous with my meal choices.

Those close to me know that I’m an extremely picky eater. I have a problem eating anything other than pastries most days.

When I started study abroad in January, I knew my diet would be in for a test. Unlike in Southern California where I can rely on Yogurtland and Chipotle to be around nearly every corner, Europe has a different type of food culture. Experiencing the different cuisine is part of my overall study abroad goal, so my trip to Prague was no different.

The first time I was in Prague four years ago, I was not as adventurous in trying the food. Instead, I relied on a large plastic bag of Rice Krispie treats that my mom had packed me to stave off my hunger. I remember nibbling on the treats at night because I had barely eaten during the day.

This time around in Prague, I was determined to eat the traditional Czech dishes. I’ve learned that food is an integral part of culture that gives you more insight into the people and history of a country. (Not exactly sure what the American hamburger says about the U.S., but it’s undeniably a part of our culture).

Traditional Czech food is very meat-based and heavy. On the first night in the city, I ordered Svičková at a local restaurant. The meal consists of either beef or chicken dosed in a plate of gravy with about five dumplings on the side. That is topped with whipped cream, smashed cranberries and a slice of lemon. It’s an interesting blend of savory and sweet — and something that I would never eat in the States. Yet I plowed my way through the meal, oddly enjoying the fact that I would only be able to eat this meal here and now.

Because it was temporal, it was tasty.

The next night I ordered a Schnitzel, something more familiar but still completely new. After each meal, my Czech friend asked how I liked it. She told me that it had been a couple of years since she had eaten the meals I was ordering. (Yes, the food was that traditional.)

Though the locals might not eat the food I tried on a day-to-day basis, I was definitely proud of myself for stepping outside my comfort zone in a way that I had never done before. It makes me excited to continue to travel because now I know the local food choices won’t be a hindrance from here on out.