Amazebowls: Embrace the purple goodness of the acaí bowl

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Kale, nut butter, arugula, coconut oil — we’ve seen our fair share of superfood trends over the years that claim to offer consumers a clean bill of health.

A current top contender on the list is a small yet powerful tropical berry with celebrity spokespersons like Dr. Oz and Oprah advocating its various health benefits. It’s name is the acaí berry.

Originally found in the Amazon rainforests, this berry has made its way into the States and onto online retailer’s web pages and in the diets of many hoping to reap its supposed benefits.

Used by indigenous tribes to treat various ailments and to aid in speedy recovery, the berries are said to be chock-full of antioxidants, omega fatty acids and amino acids. Having more protein than an egg and promising to increase metabolic processes, decrease high cholesterol, boost immune health and reduce aging, acaí berries are rave-worthy.

The most common form acaí can be found in today’s food world are acaí bowls. These bowls are a great breakfast option as they start your day with vitamins and energy, but they can be enjoyed at any time of the day. The bowls consist of acaí berries (often in a puree or frozen smoothie pack form) blended with fresh or frozen fruit, and mixed with a base such as coconut milk. Various ingredients can be substituted for desired flavor and nutritional power, and bowls can be topped with toppings of choice-most often granola and fresh fruit.

A debate on how powerful, tasteful and beneficial the berries are compared to other fruit has been going on for years, with some claiming acaí bowls to just be over-glorified smoothies with added calories and sugar.

But do not dare criticize an acaí bowl if you have yet to try one.

Though acaí bowls can run high in sugar and calories, most ingredients are natural and still contain many health benefits. It might not be a good idea to indulge in these fruit bowls on a daily basis if you are worried about maintaining sugar and caloric intake, but they are still a great treat now and then.

You can whip up your own acaí bowl with this recipe. You will need fresh fruit and you’ll probably need to head to Amazon (the non-rainforest Amazon) to order a smoothie pack of acaí berries. Or if you live on or near campus-you’re in luck! One of my favorite food trucks, Amazebowls, claims a spot on the corner of Hoover and Jefferson on most school days from 9:30 to 7 p.m.

Amazebowls’ fun and vibrant purple truck draws students on a recurring basis who are craving a fruity and tasteful breakfast or snack in between classes.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Their menu, scribbled onto a colorful chalkboard, lists several bowls, smoothies and other extra treats such as homemade nut-butter.

The currently listed bowls include the original Amazebowl, the Fresh Prince of Bowl-Air, and the Rio Deal; just the names might be enough to persuade a prospective customer to purchase a bowl. All bowls are topped with hemp granola, agave, seasonal fruit, bananas and coconut shavings, but bowls can be customized upon request.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

The two listed smoothie flavors are the Cardinal and the Tropic Thunder, both blended with a variety of fruits. Pitaya bowls are made with a blend of dragon fruit pitaya instead of the acaí berries. Prices for the bowls range between $6.50 and $7.50, and the smoothies are $4 and $5.50. Though this might seem a bit pricey to some students, the smoothies and bowls that are filled with fresh fruit and acaí berries themselves are still worth it on occasion.

I always go for the original Amazebowl as it offers all of the flavors I’m looking for. The acaí blend is so refreshingly satisfying especially on a hot day, and the granola adds crunch and texture. The fresh fruit and coconut shavings tie the blend together smoothly and leave you craving more once your brightly colored spoon scrapes out the last of the contents of your bowl.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Amazebowls seems to love USC students as much as we love them. The food truck is a big sponsor for various student organizations. I’m constantly seeing posters telling me to stop by the truck to support various sports, academic and volunteer groups. When headed to Amazebowls, check to see if anyone is fundraising that day and say the “do-good” word related to the organization, and Amazebowls will donate a proceed of profits from every purchase that comes with the “do-good” word.

If you stop by tomorrow, Thursday, April 16 and give a high-five to the cashier when you order, Amazebowls will donate a percentage of your purchase to the National High Five Project, an organization working with Action for Healthy Kids to help fight childhood obesity and promote healthy living.

Regardless of whether you believe that acaí berries will give you the strength of a superhero or that they’re nothing out of the ordinary, acaí bowls are undeniably delicious. I would highly recommend you whip up your own blend or check out Amazebowls on your way to class for some purple goodness to brighten your day.

Natalie Laczewski is a freshman majoring in communication. Her column, “Food for Thought,” runs Wednesdays.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan