It’s time for a woman president

I’ll never forget seeing a picture of President Barack Obama in the Oval Office, bending over at the waist, while a 5-year-old black boy reached up to touch Obama’s hair because the kid wanted to see if it felt like his. The image conveys a product of years of struggle for civil rights by people of color, from Harriet Tubman to Martin Luther King, Jr., and also serves as an inspirational icon for the progress yet to be made by people of different races, sexual orientations and genders.

Hillary Clinton announced her candidacy for president of the United States on Sunday, and the dialogue since has gone back and forth between those whose reasons for supporting her include pride in the fact that she’s a woman and those who would rather just talk about her qualifications. As a headline for The Guardian put it, “A female president? Nice, but not why I want Hillary Clinton.”

The “let’s only talk about qualifications” discussion is unsettling and symptomatic of some lingering assumptions about the glass ceiling, even if it isn’t meant to be. Some folks worry that people are more likely to support Hillary just because she’s a woman and in doing so, not select the best candidate for the presidency. That worry is misguided, and anyone familiar with Sarah Palin’s brief moment in the nation’s spotlight can see why.

By any stretch of the phrase, Hillary Clinton is the most qualified candidate for president. Three decades of experience, from her eight years as first lady, to her tenure as a senator, to her most recent work as secretary of state, make her about as ready for the job as they come. She carries a message of opportunity for the middle class, one desperately needed as income inequality rises. Beyond our nation’s border, she is a more reserved type of interventionist, with the cohesive and strategic worldview required to deal with a world more unstable than at any point since the Cold War (and arguably before). Clinton has also ended the Democratic primary phase before it begins and is virtually guaranteed the nomination, an unprecedented feat in modern political history that hasn’t occurred since Martin Van Buren’s landslide primary victory in 1835.

But disregarding Clinton’s identity as a woman is bothersome, and so is the notion that there is an army of Hillary supporters who are only going to vote for her because of her gender identity. Eighty-three percent of people in a Bloomberg poll said Hillary being a woman “doesn’t matter much” to them in deciding who to vote for. The tendency of Hillary’s detractors to assume her supporters are only doing so because she is a woman might reveal more about the state of gender equality than we’re comfortable hearing.

But the 12 percent of people who said Clinton’s womanhood makes them “more inclined to vote for her” do not deserve the flack they are getting. Those 12 percent of people who recognize that our nation’s storied trend of electing 43 consecutive dudes to lead the free world might be a little strange are right to feel the way they do, and those who think that Clinton’s gender shouldn’t matter at all have a misguided fear. Find me a single Republican voter who will say, “Gee, I disagree with Hilary on social issues and economic policy, but she’s a woman, so here goes,” and I’ll eat the newspaper this column is printed on.

The point everyone also seems to miss is that Clinton’s gender doesn’t just give her the potential to make history in an incredibly important way — it also gives her a remarkable sense of perspective on issues important to women everywhere. Gender does not give her an intrinsically higher value, it gives her an intrinsically better perspective on certain issues because of lived experience. In the same way that a former governor can tout experience leading a particular state as helpful for leading the nation, a woman — who has experienced discrimination that most men are unfamiliar with — can certainly make a more compelling and powerful case for women’s issues on the political stage.

Another, albeit less common, argument that gets tossed around is that the barriers women face have been lowered to the point where Clinton’s womanhood shouldn’t matter. Women still earn 78 cents for every dollar a man earns for the same work, and Republicans in Congress routinely block legislation like the Paycheck Fairness Act, all the while advocating for greater restrictions on abortion and access to birth control. The Economist’s “Glass Ceiling Index,” which ran last month on International Women’s Day and ranks countries according to women’s chances of being treated equally at work, puts the United States out of the top 20 in most rankings, depending on how you weigh factors like wages, higher education and costs of childcare, among other things. This country still doesn’t have paid maternity leave, something nearly all industrialized economies offer. On all of those issues and more, I can’t think of a better advocate than Hillary Clinton, in part because of her perspective and experience as a woman.

There has been some division in the feminist community over Clinton’s so-called “corporate feminism,” that is, her persistent advocacy for abortion and birth control rights while also serving on the board of companies like Walmart, which underpays workers (a majority of whom are women), and helping many American businesses like Boeing and Lockheed Martin make lucrative overseas contracts while secretary of state. It’s complicated, but the value judgement we should all make is that any form of feminism is better than no form at all. The fact is, as long as documented structural discrimination against women exists, and even after it’s gone, Emma Watson is right. We should all be feminists.

Nathaniel Haas is a junior majoring in political science and economics. His column, “State of the Union,” runs Fridays. 

1. AlanMacDonald
    AlanMacDonald says:

It’s not about the Money — but the EMPIRE behind the money!

The really pivotal issue (of all ‘issues’) is whether Hillary (or
    any one of these neocon ‘R’ Vichy political puppet candidates,
    and neoliberal-con ‘D’ Vichy political puppet candidates) will do
    anything about the Empire which is the cancerous CAUSE of all these
    ‘identity issues’, ‘symptom problems’, and our entire “ailing
    social order” —- all of which is CAUSED by only one central,
    seminal, singular, but ‘disguised’ EMPIRE (the Cancer of all
    Maladies) in our dying body politic.

The answer, of course, is NO —- Hillary will not even whisper a
    word about the Disguised Global Capitalist Empire that she is
    auditioning in front of, and ‘for which she will front’ if (s)elected
    as the next faux/Emperor/Empress/president of this Disguised Global
    Capitalist Empire’s nominal world HQ in the belly of what most
    deluded and propagandized citizen/’subjects’ wishfully call ‘their
    country’.

As Zygmunt Bauman hauntingly puts it, “In the case of an ailing
    social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis…is a crucial,
    perhaps decisive, part of the disease.”13

Berman, Morris (2011-02-07). Dark Ages America: The Final Phase of
    Empire (p. 22). Norton. Kindle Edition.

Today and HERE, the disease is Empire, and the cure is public
    ‘exposure’.

Perhaps, the non-violent step beyond “Occupy” is not
    just “Occupy the Empire” as I had thought and worked toward
    for many years, but is a mass civil ‘action’ of public exposure with
    signs reading “Expose the Empire”.

Liberty, democracy, justice, and equality
    Over
    Violent/Vichy
    Empire,

Alan MacDonald
    Wells, Maine

2. Liberty Minded
    Liberty Minded says:

One’s gender is not a qualification for the presidency. Unfortunately, the long march of more female politicians has not been accompanied by better policies or less corruption or increased economic freedom or increased personal freedoms. The 20 years of having (2) two female senators in California has resulted in the reduction of wages through increased taxation (less economic freedom) and increased government surveillance and more intrusive searches of travelers (less personal freedom).

One can draw the conclusion that a Hillary Clinton presidency will mean the loss of more freedoms. Her promise to become a champion for the middle class and getting rid of unaccountable money in politics will likely result in more government invasions in ones personal and financial affairs. It is impossible for governments to know if the middle class is doing “better” unless those same governments know intimate details on ones life, both before enacting policies and after enacting policies. It is impossible for governments to know if donations to political causes are “accountable” unless the governments have detailed financial records. Both of these new government examinations mean the loss of privacy. I have yet to find where the loss of privacy is to the advantage of an individual.

I have yet to find that having governments pay for benefits that are the responsibility of individuals that the costs per transaction are reduced. Simply put, the more governments are involved, the higher the prices become. One example is health care – since the passing of the first HMO act, health care costs have increased. Since the consolidation of student loans through federal law, prices for education have gone up. There are too many examples to count.

• Thekatman
      Thekatman says:

I agree with Liberty Minded….. Another issue is that folks shouldn’t make the same mistake a 3rd time by voting for someone because they’re perceived to be black or is a woman. You vote because you think the person of your choice has the skills and qualifications to be president or a leader of the group. Voting for someone because of their gender or race is absolutely wrong and goes completely against anything the civil rights leadership strived for 50 years ago. You are to vote based on the candidates content of their character, and we all know that Hillary Clinton does not have any “content of character”, as she has proven over her political lifetime and even before when she was a lawyer, that she cannot be trusted and is a pathological liar, like her ex boss. She will end up pulling out of the race once the Benghazi issue is finished and the email scandal, the destruction of government property, has been through the courts. She is a potential felon and has proven that she does not have the best interest of the country, of Americans, of the middle calls at heart. She has her own self interests at heart…. She has proven that over and over again….. keep your eyes and minds open and you will see. Besides, do you want Bill back in the White House, hiding in closets with female interns and embarrassing the country, again?