When in Rome, experience all aspects of the history

Jordyn Holman | Daily Trojan

Jordyn Holman | Daily Trojan

Who knew that fallen and scattered marble stones and pillars could take your breath away?

I surely didn’t. Well, not until this past weekend when I went to Rome, Italy and became the ultimate tourist.

I first realized the beauty of a time long past while in the Foro Romano, or Roman Forum. From my vantage point, standing on the highest point of the Forum, all of Rome was laid out before me. The Vatican was to my left while the Trevi Fountain sparkled on my right (despite it being under construction). The city was peppered with auburn basilica domes and had a soundtrack of traffic from the congested streets with motorinos and taxis speeding past each other.

In Rome, the Colosseum is the site that by far gets the most attention. In all our high school history classes we learn about this wonder of the world that was used for gladiatorial combats and stood as a symbol for the strength of the Roman Empire.

After spending a jam-packed two full days in Rome, I realized it really shouldn’t command such a large spotlight. (This probably sounds blasphemous coming from a Trojan who spends her Saturdays during football season in our own worshipped version of the Roman structure).

Yet, to reduce Rome to one ancient structure is wrong.

I truly realized this after getting lost of in the Foro Romano for about an hour. Before entering, I thought it would be a quick trip to see some fallen pillars and possibly some artifacts. But what I found was an entirely different Rome, complete with remains of homes, still flourishing gardens and the best views of the city.

Rome is a city preserved. Therefore, if you only have a few days or even hours to be in this historic city you should spend your time exploring all the other sites it has to offer. (Plus, the Colosseum can be seen from the plane).

So head to the Castel Sant’Angelo, which is the site of Emperor Hadrian’s mausoleum or the Spanish Steps for an hour or two to sit and eat lunch and people watch. And whatever you do, don’t leave Italy without eating gelati at least three times.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, but I learned that you could definitely see thousands of years of history in one. So keep your mind open during your Italian excursion.

Ciao for now!