Marshall graduate helms creative accesory company

Everyone has had the problem of wanting to take a selfie, but not want wanting to whip out the selfie stick, which has become a social faux pas. Enter Mega Tiny Corp, which has introduced a new take on the hands-free selfie with an iPhone case that sticks to any surface. Marshall graduate Wannie Park is leading Mega Tiny Corp’s charge in releasing newer and cooler products into the arena.

Mega Tiny Corp is currently fundraising money on Kickstarter for its Zero G iPhone 6 and 6 Plus case. The initial goal was to raise $25,000, but it has already achieved more than 370 percent over that goal at over $117.776 with 7 days to go on the Kickstarter. The Zero G case is advertised to use nano-suction technology so that users can stick their phone to any smooth, flat surface, including, but not limited to, whiteboards, metal, glass and computer screens while still viably protecting the phone from damage. This case is the first product that Mega Tiny Corp has uniquely designed, tested and created for the market.

Park said the case is what this startup tech accessories company wishes to focus on in the future.

“For us, and [with] my background in consumer electronics — I’ve been doing this since 2003 — I know this space really well. The Zero G case is actually the first product we really developed intensely, and in terms of where we’re headed, it’s going to be a lot more of [these] inspired, innovative products,” Park said.

Park co-founded Mega Tiny Corp following years of experience in the tech accessory industry. After beginning his career at Belkin International in 2003, Park left to start his own company.

“I was in corporate development for Belkin International,” Park said. “That is how I got started in terms of the accessories side of the business. It wasn’t just coming up with new products — you have to build it, test it, make it beautiful, and you have to sell it. I have a ton of experience selling into retail. And taking all these different elements of my experience and bringing it forth to this company that I’ve started has been great.”

Tech accessories are currently on the rise. With Samsung, Apple and Oculus, the industry has fostered innovation but has proven difficult to break into. In the case of Mega Tiny Corp, Park utilized his previous career experience at Belkin International and harnessed the power of the Trojan family. Park has reached out for help from other alumni, and other Trojans have in turn also reached out to him to collaborate. Park encouraged students to realize the full potential of the resources that USC can offer.

“One of the best things about Marshall is that if I were to go through the online alumni directory, and I reach out and cold call a Marshall alum, there is a really good shot that the guy will answer my call or return my email,” Park said. “There is that sort of bond. My advice is to reach out and tap into the alumni network, and don’t be afraid to cold call a person and engage them.”

Park said that increased globalization and interconnectedness has allowed for any entrepreneur or creative innovator to break into any industry. For the Zero G case, he was able to easily continue his relationship with China manufacturers. His company had access to materials, factories and manufacturers, even though Park is based in Los Angeles. Mega Tiny Corp is an example of how startups can remain successful and competitive by utilizing global resources and human capital strategically.

“If you’re inspired, it’s really not as hard as you think,” Park said. “This case seems simple, but the world has gotten so much smaller that from here in Los Angeles, I’m able to talk to people in Japan and in China, all the places to get all the little pieces to build this case. There are more moving parts than you think, and just really an issue of getting out there, and being brave — don’t worry about rejection. Be brave and aggressive.”