Baseball falls to Cal State Fullerton in extra innings

USC was unable to maintain an early lead against Cal State Fullerton during last night’s game, falling 5-3 in the 12th inning following a disappointing showing from the Trojan bullpen.

After a quick top of the first from sophomore starter Bernardo Flores, the Trojans threatened an early lead as starting Titans pitcher Miles Chambers walked the first two batters. After a sacrifice bunt from Jeremy Martinez put two men in scoring position, the Trojans were unable to bring any runners home.

Chambers got back into his groove after a shaking top of the first. The Trojans struggled to string hits together, stranding runners in scoring position during the second and third innings.

Things started to get interesting during the bottom of the fourth inning. After junior David Oppenheim hit a deep fly out to right followed by a soft groundout from freshman Aldaberto Carrillo, junior AJ Ramirez hit a solo homerun out to left field to put the Trojans on the board.

After a 1-2-3 top of the fifth from Flores, the Trojan offense started to heat up in part thanks to a costly error from the Titans’ third basemen. With two down, Martinez hit a rocket up the middle, sliding into second on a close call for the double. Junior Timmy Robinson then hit a grounder to left for what would be a routine out at first to end the Trojan threat, but he instead made a poor throw to first. Martinez was then able to score from second, and Robinson made it to second on the error, putting the Trojans up 2-0.

Senior Dante Flores came up next for the Trojans. After battling Titans’ reliever Connor Seabold to a 3-2 count, CSFU head coach Rick Vanderhook was thrown out of the game by home plate umpire Joe Malden due to his strongly worded calls from the Titans dug out. Vanderhook had previously come on to the field during the fifth inning to debate the umpire’s call when CSFU outfielder Tyler Steib struck out looking.

USC continued the offensive pressure in the sixth starting with a lead-off double down the third base line by junior David Oppenheim. Facing Carrillo, Seabold committed a costly balk, advancing Oppenheim to third with no outs. After Carrillo grounded out to make the first out, Ramirez stepped up to deliver a key sacrifice bunt, bringing Oppenheim home and putting to the Trojans up 3-0.

CSFU came charging back during the top of the seventh to threaten the Trojans’ lead. After allowing a single up center to put a man on with one out, Flores exited the game after delivering five and one-third innings of shut out baseball.

Junior reliever Brooks Kriske entered the game to face sophomore Timmy Richards, who singled down the first base line to put runners on the corners with one out. Steib then singled to bring home a run, making the score 3-1 with runners on first in second, one out.

After making another out and forcing Titans’ Taylor Bryant into a 0-2 count, Kriske allowed another single, bringing home a second run and once again putting runners at the corners, making the score 3-2 Trojans.

Kriske’s night ended as junior Kyle David entered the game to make the final out and end the Titans’ threat.

The Trojans answered right back in the bottom of the seventh to eventually load the bases, though they were unable to put any more runs up on the board. Seabold walked Stahel to lead off the inning before William Kuhl replaced Seabold with one out and one man on. Kuhl then walked Martinez, putting two on with one down.

Robinson subsequently sliced one into left to load the bases with one out. This ended Kuhl’s night and brought in Tyler Peitzmeier. Flores then hit a grounder directly to first, making the double play at first and then at home to prevent the Trojans from managing further runs.

The Titans continued their late in the game comeback during the top of the eighth. After two singles putting men on first and second with one, Bravo hit a soft grounder to third that Carrillo gloved then threw to first get Bravo out. Ramirez’ subsequent throw to home, however, arrived too late as Josh Vargas slid into home, tying the score 3-3.

The top of the ninth almost proved to be fatal for the Trojans as the Titans threatened to bring the winning run home. Marc Huberman started off the inning by allowing a lead off single followed by a walk, putting two men on with one out. A sac-bunt advanced the runners still with one out.

Huberman then intentionally walked Dustin Vaught to load the bases and bring up Josh Vargas. Vargas hit a soft grounder to the mound to be thrown to Trojan second baseman Dante Flores, who made the out at second.

Though the first base umpire called Vargas safe at first, allowing the runner at third to get to home, the third baseman umpire called runner’s interference against Vaught, nulling the run and relieving the Trojans of the run that would’ve cost them the game.

CSFU continued their momentum into the top of the ninth inning as Peitzmeier delivered a 1-2-3 inning to force the game into extra innings.

Following an uneventful 10th inning, both teams threatened to bring home the winning run in the 11th but came up short. CSFU loaded to bases with two outs, but Huberman managed to cause a pop up to prevent any damage.

The Trojans then made things interesting but couldn’t produce a run after Ramirez advanced to first after being hit by a pitch, subsequently stealing second, then third following a wild pitch with two outs. The Titans walked Stahel to put runners on the corner, bringing up Stubbs, who hit a grounder to end the inning.

CSFU got hot in the top of the 12th to put the two key runs on the board, giving them a 5-3 advantage on the Trojans. A   lead-off single followed by a stolen base put a runner at second, and then at third after a sac bunt. Shortstop Timmy Richards then singled up the middle, bringing home a run and pushing the Titans ahead 4-3.

Richards subsequently stole second, followed by Huberman walking a player to put two men on with two outs. A wild pitch from Huberman allowed Richards to reach home from second, bringing home the final run of the game, 5-3 Titans.

1. Steve B.
    Steve B. says:

Coach Hubbs has a way to ruin a pitching staff. What reason would you let your best reliever keep pitching all those innings
    when he is needed more for the conference weekend series? Using Kyle Davis ( not David ) who can’t get anyone out in recent
    games in clutch situations not very assuring. Team blew way too many scoring chances throughout the game. This weekend
    series with lowly Utah will show if Trojans can regain some steam or doing a late season collapse.