Wake up with a homemade brunch

When Sunday morning rolls around and you finally decide to pull your lazy butt out of bed, what do you want? A cup of coffee and food. And some good food at that. The only problem is that you are too lazy to get dressed and you know you shouldn’t spend more money on mediocre food from LA Cafe and overpriced eggs at Urth Caffe. So you decide to pull out the Cheerios. Wrong! Instead, pull out your apron and prepare yourself to make some culinary magic in the comfort of your own home.

An ideal brunch has to not only fill your belly, but must also satisfy your sweet and salty cravings. On the savory side, eggs provide essential protein and bacon gives the necessary crispiness and fat. And to satisfy your sweet tooth, what’s better than a nice smoothie or some caramelized apples (it’s a fruit, so it’s healthy) on top of crunchy vanilla french toast? Yum. Get ready to indulge in some delicious and easy recipes that will liven up your weekend brunch.

Fried Egg Sandwich · Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

Fried Egg Sandwich

Total time: 15 minutes

Serves one

Ingredients:

-1 bagel

-2 slices cheddar cheese

-2-3 strips thick-cut bacon

-1 tablespoon butter

-2 eggs

Instructions:

1. Take the bacon out of the fridge and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Bacon cooks better when it starts at room temperature (so make yourself some coffee in the meantime).

2. When you can’t wait any longer for your bacon to warm up, arrange it in a cold skillet. Cook bacon over medium-low heat, turning often. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan, otherwise your bacon will be floppy rather than crispy. For crispy, but not over crispy bacon, watch it carefully to see that the fat is slightly browned, then remove the bacon to let it rest.

3. While the bacon is cooking, lightly toast the bagel in a toaster.

4. Set your oven to broil. Butter the toasted bagel and place a slice of cheese on each side. Put it in the oven for two minutes, until the cheese starts to bubble.

5. Use the same skillet you cooked the bacon in for the eggs, so they can simmer in the bacon’s juiciness. Make sure the skillet is at medium heat; crack the egg in the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Watch for the egg whites to become opaque, then flip the eggs. Wait 20 seconds and remove.

6. Stack the bacon and eggs on the bottom bagel half, put on the top half of the bagel, bite into the delicious sandwich and enjoy.

Blueberry Green Tea Smoothie

Total time: 10 minutes

Serves one

Ingredients:

-100 grams (about 2 large handfuls) frozen blueberries

-75 grams frozen banana (about ¾ a banana)

-1 green tea bag

-1 teaspoon honey

-Small handful of ice

-¾ cup unsweetened almond milk

-Fresh blueberries, raspberries and blackberries for topping

Instructions:

1. The night before, place blueberries and a banana in the freezer. Then brew 4 tablespoons of green tea and place it in the fridge to cool.

2. The next morning, put all the ingredients, except ice and fresh fruit, in your blender. Blend. Taste. Add ice, if necessary, to thicken the smoothie.

3. Pour the smoothie in a mason jar. Top with fresh fruit. Take a picture for Instagram.

Eggs & Avocados

Total time: 15 minutes

Serves one

Ingredients:

-1 avocado

-2 eggs

-Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Set the oven to 425 F. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Make the resulting holes larger (I take out about a large spoonful so the egg will fit). Put the eggs in the holes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

2. Place both avocado halves on a baking sheet and pop them into the oven for 15-25 minutes. If you like a runny yoke keep them in for 15 minutes; if you like your eggs harder, keep them in for 25 minutes.

3. Other than having it plain, the avocado is also good with a little lime, some chili powder and a small corn tortilla to sop up the yoke.

Chia Almond Sourdough French Toast with Honey Caramelized Apples · Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

Chia Almond Sourdough French Toast with Honey Caramelized Apples

Total time: 20 minutes

Serves two

Ingredients:

-½ thin loaf of two-day-old sourdough

-¾ teaspoon chia seeds (flax works as well)

-2 tablespoons coconut flour

-½ cup vanilla almond milk

-1 teaspoon coconut oil

-1 apple

-1 tablespoon butter

-1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar

-1 tablespoon lemon juice

-1 ½ tablespoon honey

Instructions:

1. Grind chia seeds in a blender. Then mix ground seeds and flour. Slowly mix the milk and dry mix; if you add the milk too quickly, the mixture will become lumpy. Let the mixture sit for at least 15 minutes. Cut loaf into 1-inch slices.

2. While you wait for the mixture, cut the apple into 10 slices. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar in a separate pan over medium heat. Wait for the mixture to become bubbly, then add the apples. Constantly toss the apples, cooking them for 7-10 minutes. If you like honey, at the 5-minute mark, drizzle the honey over the apples and cook for the remaining minutes. The apples should be soft enough so a fork can easily go through the apple. Remove from heat.

3. Whisk the mixture after 15 minutes. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add some coconut oil. You can also use butter, but I find that coconut oil works better because it doesn’t cook off as quickly, plus it adds a little extra kick to your toast. Soak bread in the mixture, dipping each side. When the pan is hot throw the slices into the pan. Cook each side, turning every 30 seconds until they are golden brown. Then plate them.

4. Drizzle the apples and sugar mixture over your french toast and dig in!