Vegan victuals are perfect for the sweet tooth

Even if you aren’t a vegan, you can still enjoy some vegan treats. But who said the vegan treats have to always be unhealthy? Of course a double chocolate chip cookie is always delicious, but why not try a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie sweetened with dates and bananas? Or what about doughnuts that are not fried, but baked? They are more hardy and you do not feel like you are stuffing your face with sugar. Why not give them a try?  Here are some easy recipes you can whip together and impress your vegan friends – if you don’t eat them all first.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Total time: 15 minutes

Makes 12 large cookies

Ingredients:

– 3⁄4 cup coconut oil

– 2 cups sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)

– 2 teaspoons vanilla

– 1 tablespoon flax seed, plus

– 1 teaspoon flax seed

– 1⁄2 cup almond milk

– 2 cups coconut flour

– 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder

– 1 teaspoon baking soda

– 1⁄2 teaspoon salt

– 1 1⁄2 cups vegan dark chocolate chips

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven 350  degrees Fahrenheit

2. Grind 1 tablespoon flax seed.

3. Add the almond milk. Blend for a few seconds. Let that rest for 15 minutes to allow the flax seeds to soak up the milk – this is essentially the “egg” of the recipe.

4. In another bowl mix your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

5. Cream the sugar and oil for 5 minutes. (Creaming is blending the two ingredients with a high power blender. The sugar/oil combination is your leavening agent; therefore, the longer you cream, the “fluffier” your cookies will be.)

6. Add flax/milk mixture to your sugar/oil. Mix well.

7.   Add vanilla.

8. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.

9. Mix your chocolate chips.

10. Either oil or put parchment paper on your baking sheet. Make 12 cookies. Cook 10-12 minutes.

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are given a vegan twist with the help of some coconut and flax seed.  - Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are given a vegan twist with the help of some coconut and flax seed. – Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

Healthy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

Total time: 15 minutes

Makes 12 cookies

Ingredients:

– 1 cup dates, packed (soaked for 10 minutes in warm water and then drained)

– 1 medium ripe banana

– 2 tablespoons all natural, salted almond butter or peanut butter

– 3/4 cup almond meal (ground from raw almonds)

– 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats

–  Vegan chocolate chips

–  Sliced almonds

Instructions:

1. Add dates to a food processor and pulse until only small bits remain.

2. Add banana and almond butter and mix again until combined, scraping down the sides as needed.

3. Next, add the almond meal and rolled oats and pulse until a loose dough is formed. It will be kind of wet and sticky. I added a little more almond meal (until I could form the dough into balls), about ¼ cup.

4. At this point, you can add in 2 tablespoons of the chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of the sliced almonds. Then chill dough for 10 minutes and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

5. Wet your hands (to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands) and scoop out 2 tablespoon amounts of cookie dough. Form dough into loose discs, then arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. They won’t expand so pack them closer together.

6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and somewhat firm to the touch.

7. Remove and let set for a few minutes on the pan, then carefully transfer to a plate or cooling rack to cool. Enjoy!

These healthier Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are sweetened with dates and bananas instead of sugar.  - Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

These healthier Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are sweetened with dates and bananas instead of sugar. – Delaney Brockman | Daily Trojan

Maple Glaze Doughnuts

Total time: 15 minutes

Makes 12

Ingredients:

– 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

– 1/2 cup stevia (or whatever sugar)

– 1 teaspoon salt

– 1 teaspoon baking powder

– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

– 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh grated is best!)

– 1 1/3 cup vanilla almond milk

– 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract glaze:

– 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

– 2 tablespoons maple syrup

– 2 teaspoons maple extract

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Mix together the milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.

3. Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in a large bowl.

4. Add the applesauce and vanilla to the soymilk mixture, and stir well.

5. Add the wet soymilk and applesauce mixture to the sifted dry mixture and stir. Do not overmix.

6. Put the batter into a plastic bag with the corner cut off to pipe it into your doughnut pan. Fill the pan to about 3/4 full in each doughnut.

7. Bake for 10-12 minutes. If you want to test it insert a toothpick and pull it out. If there are a few crumbles of cake on it or it is clean that’s fine. If it’s gooey let them bake a little longer. Let them cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then pull them out. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes longer.

8. Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and stir in the maple syrup and the maple extract. You may want to add a teaspoon or so of soymilk to thin it out.

9. Once the doughnuts have cooled slightly you can dip them into the glaze. Make sure to get the excess off before flipping them right side up.