USC allows Bryce Dixon to re-enroll as a student, will not be reinstated as an athlete

Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

USC is allowing former USC footballer Bryce Dixon to re-enroll in the university after a Los Angeles Superior Court judge put his expulsion on hold Wednesday, but he will not be put back on the football team. 

“While we will comply with the judge’s order staying the expulsion, Mr. Dixon will not be reinstated as a student-athlete,” a USC statement read.

Dixon, a rising sophomore who was a tight end during the 2014 season, was expelled in May following two alleged cases of sexual misconduct in October with a female USC student who also worked as an athletic trainer.

He was found to have violated USC’s “affirmative consent” policy for one of the incidents, according to Dixon’s filed petition.

But Judge Robert H. O’Brien ruled against the expulsion in light of concerns regarding USC’s investigative and hearing processes and due process, according to the Los Angeles Times.

USC issued a statement Wednesday defending their decision to expel Dixon.

“The University stands by its student disciplinary processes that were conducted in compliance with state and federal regulations and its decisions in this case,” it stated. “We will carefully evaluate the judge’s written order once it is issued in order to determine our next steps.”

The decision comes just as fall football training camp gets underway. The team starts the 2015 season against Arkansas State on Sept. 5, and Dixon told the Los Angeles Times that he hopes to rejoin the team.

After practice Wednesday, Sarkisian would not specify if Dixon will be returning. The former tight end played in 12 games last semester with 14 catches and four touchdowns.

Sarkisian said he wants what is best for his players and deferred to the administration.

“As the University makes their decision, then we’ll make ours,” he said.

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated to reflect Dixon’s re-enrollment.

1. partriot
    partriot says:

I read Dixon’s statements and it sure sound as if USC’s Title XII person is inexperienced, biased and exposing USC to a well-deserved lawsuit.