Acclaimed Roski professor resigns position

In addition to the loss of its entire M.F.A. class of 2016, the Roski School of Art and Design was dealt another blow earlier this month with the resignation of Professor Sharon Lockhart after a major dispute over changes to the school’s curriculum.

Lockhart, considered both one of the top professors within Roski and one of Los Angeles’ most influential artists, is known for her unique and cutting-edge photographs and films. The dispute reportedly led her to accept another job at Cal Arts.

Before Lockhart’s resignation, seven other Roski M.F.A. students dropped out of the school. As of the first week of August, only one person had enrolled in the M.F.A. class of 2016. Those who withdrew from the program, known as the “USC Seven,” said they do not plan on returning to the school and have been supported in their decision by past alumni of the M.F.A. program as well as other graduate peers.

Erica Muhl, the art school’s dean, has been the subject of much criticism following this month’s events. Earlier in August, the M.F.A. class of 2015 gathered over 800 signatures calling for Muhl’s resignation. The petition included signatures from the former Dean of the School of Fine Arts John S. Gordon, UCLA photography professor Catherine Opie and many other influential people.

Claire Dumelle, a current undergraduate student in the Roski School of Art and Design, said she was originally open to applying to the M.F.A. program.

“I was planning on applying, but I’m reconsidering because of the curriculum changes,” Dumelle said. “My first choice was obviously Roski, but I’m now looking at other programs.”

Dumelle said that other students in her school feel the same way.

Brigitte Crisp, another student in Roski with an emphasis in painting and design, expressed her disappointment in the changes within the program.

“I would not consider [the Roski] M.F.A. program anymore because I truly feel bad for the M.F.A. students and the disappointment that they went through with their education,” Crisp said. “I would never want to be in that position.”

Though the M.F.A. program is only for graduate students, the repercussions of its decline still stand to affect undergraduate Roski students as well. Some students said they were hoping to complete both their undergraduate and graduate studies at USC, and now many believe they won’t be able to.