Latinos become largest ethnic group in state

Strength in numbers · El Centro Chicano is a Latino and Chicano organization for student leaders at USC located in the Student Union. - Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

Strength in numbers · El Centro Chicano is a Latino and Chicano organization for student leaders at USC located in the Student Union. – Mariya Dondonyan | Daily Trojan

The percentage of Latino students attending USC has remained steady at about 12 to 14 percent for the last decade despite the growing Latino population in California during the same time period.

USC demographics for the Fall 2014 semester show the percentage of Latino students at 12 percent. Domenika Lynch, the executive director of the Latino Alumni Association, said that this percentage also happens to be the national percentage of Latinos attending college.

According to the Los Angeles Times, demographers’ long-standing prediction that Latinos would soon outnumber whites in California was confirmed on July 1, 2015. The historic shift was initially expected to occur in 2013 but was hindered by slow population growth.

After Hawaii and New Mexico, California has become the first large state and third state overall without a predominantly white population. The United States Latino population is at 55.4 million. Los Angeles County and California have the largest populations of any county and state, respectively.

The ethnic composition of the USC student population has not evolved at the same rate as that of California. However, USC may face a slower increase in the number of Latinos enrolled due to the high enrollment numbers of out-of-state and foreign students.

Lynch expressed her desire to see more Latino students admitted to, graduating from USC and becoming successful alumni. She argued, however, that the admissions process should continue to consist of a holistic review of students’ academic and extracurricular strengths, regardless of ethnicity.

Lynch commented on Latino presence at USC growing together  with the country’s increasing population of Latinos.

“Latinos currently make up 39 percent of California’s ethnic composition — the largest single racial/ethnic group in California,” Lynch said. “I am confident that as Latino’s grow in numbers in the state, USC will continue to attract the best and the brightest.”

Stephanie Gioeli, a sophomore majoring in business administration, commented on the socioeconomic burden of getting into highly selective universities such as USC.

“Higher education often seems reserved for those who can afford it, which is why universities in these demographics usually put extra effort into aiding minority groups in getting into such institutions,” Gioeli said. “It is surprising to me as a Latina currently enrolled that USC, a university that prides itself on immersion with the surrounding community, has not adjusted their admissions process to reflect the local majority that once was a minority.”

The LAA offers partial-tuition scholarships that range from $500 to $5,000 each academic year to USC undergraduate and graduate students who have demonstrated a commitment to the Latino community. Around 7,500 scholarships have been awarded since the organization’s founding in 1973.

According to Lynch, the LAA hopes to continue raising scholarship funds in order to ease the financial barrier felt by some Latino students.

“We admit a good number of Latino students — we need to do a better job in the conversion process,” Lynch said. “The LAA is determined to raise scholarship funds to increase the numbers of Latino students who get accepted to USC but choose another school because of scholarships offered.”