Trojans look prepared at Tuesday’s practice

In the wake of national criticism of head coach Steve Sarkisian’s inappropriate behavior at Salute to Troy, the Trojans are more focused than ever at practices. The team has put the incident behind them and is moving forward in preparation for Saturday’s game against Arkansas State.

“I think this brought us closer together,” said quarterback Cody Kessler about Sarkisian’s action last week.

The synchronization between the pace of the players, drills and music accentuate a team united. According to Sarkisian, practices like Tuesday’s are a competition. In 11 on 11 drills, the first team offense went head-to-head with the first team defense and the second teams were sprinkled in and out of drills to best utilize the deepest roster coach Sarkisian has had while at USC. While competing, all players are fighting to demonstrate to the coaching staff that they should be on the field to start Saturday’s game against Arkansas State.

“You got to see the ones against the ones and the twos against the twos compete,” said Dan Weber, former coach and scout.com contributor, while observing Tuesday’s practice. “But the interesting thing with this team this year is that there is not much of a dropoff between the two. So when they are switching out it looks like a couple of sessions of ones versus ones.”

In injury news, four players who Sark described as “very limited” Tuesday were Lamar Dawson (ribs), Justin Davis (ribs), Claude Pelon (knee) and Jordan Simmons (knee). Sarkisian said having them available would be a “bonus.” Nose tackle Antwaun Woods practiced with the first team with a large brace on his right arm. Freshman safety Ykili Ross (shoulder) was on the field and active but in a            non-contact yellow jersey. Tight end Taylor McNamara left practice early because of what Sarkisian described as lightheadedness.

Coach Sarkisian did his part to create a more united and prepared football team Saturday when he announced that offensive coordinator Clay Helton would call the plays this upcoming season. In an attempt to allow Sarkisian more time and flexibility to better manage the defense and special teams, he is recruiting an Aussie Rugby-style punter, Chris Tilbey, who could be with the team the next four years. Guiding every facet of the team gives Sarkisian a chance to instill a more complete vision of how the Trojans will look this year.

“I love calling plays — that’s what I do … how I got into this profession and worked my way through it,” Sarkisian said. “But I want to be a great head coach. I don’t want to set offensive records and finish 8-5 or 9-4. I want to win 13 games and 14 games.”

Coach Helton called plays for USC when he was interim coach for the 2013 Las Vegas Bowl against Fresno State, a game the Trojans won, 45-20. It is his special relationship with Cody Kessler that has Trojan fans excited about what the two can do next year.

“I have been with Kessler for seven years now,” Helton said.  “It is like having a coach on the field. It is really like he is reading my mind. Any time you have a fifth-year senior it is incredibly beneficial as a play-caller and an offensive coordinator.”

Adding to the offense, coach Steve Sarkisian said all three freshmen tailbacks — Dominic Davis, Ronald Jones II and Aca’Cedric Ware — will play in Saturday’s opener against Arkansas State. Chad Wheeler has battled his way back from injury and will be getting the nod at starting offensive tackle Saturday.

“I compete with these guys who work so hard day in and day out. And to be named the starter is an honor. I just can’t wait to get out there, ” Wheeler said.

While Tuesday’s practice was surrounded by an aura of newness with the first game coming up and Helton being named the offensive play caller, the theme of practice hasn’t changed: finish. Since training camp opened for the USC Trojans, head coach Steve Sarkisian and his staff have implemented a “Finish Challenge” to avoid            end-of-game collapses. At the end of drills, players often turn up the energy. They run faster, hit harder and encourage the younger guys to do the same. It’s contagious. And it’s clear that players haven’t forgotten about the two last-minute losses from last season.

“You get excited. I want to see our guys play,”  Sarkisian said. “I want to see what they look like after all the work. I want to see our offense, our defense and our special teams. I want to see some of our new players. I want to see the development of our veteran players from one season to the next. So yeah, I am as excited as anyone to hit.”