FIGHT ON: Trojan Spirit Tips To Fight Procrastination

4976873174_f2255ed1d1_b

Courtesy Flickr/Creative Commons

Laziness will be the death of you. As a theatre student, I may be overdramatizing, but I believe some of the greatest qualities a person can display are motivation and persistence. These qualities are unparalleled when compared to the intelligent, yet lazy lifestyle that seems to permeate college culture.

According to a study from The New Yorker, 65 percent of students claimed they did not want to procrastinate because they were aware the delay alone would make them unhappy.

This delay that creates unhappy students is caused by a number of distracting applications. For example, there are plenty of us that would rather enjoy the drama and hilarity of “Orange is the New Black” or “Parks and Recreation” than conquer that reading of “Conquistador and the Fall of Old Mexico” for your History GE.

Therefore, this is my call to action: look deeper into your Trojan moral values. Fight on!

Fight past your Netflix-bingeing, and start to take action. At times, we all procrastinate and do not follow through with seemingly easy tasks. However, in these moments, let us recall the Trojan spirit. If your Trojan spirit needs a little armed assistance while dueling the calculus homework that lies in front of you, it is time for you to turn to other platforms.

Here are some pieces to follow:

1. Count to 10

Nike’s “Just Do It” is perhaps one of the most empowering yet simple messages; the most challenging aspect to procrastination is starting. In order to start, just count to 10 and begin the task. Too much planning can lead to not enough doing.

1. Incentivize Yourself

This tip is best used for the most dreadful of classes, as rewarding yourself will help fight the procrastination. Whether it be your favorite food or 15 minutes of sleep, planning a little reward for yourself can be the motivation you need to get down to work.

1. Gain Self Control

Get the Self Control application. This computer app is designed to block distracting sites for a set amount of time. It will eliminate any dangerous temptation that might lead you to the worlds of Facebook, Twitter, or the ever-useless Vine.

1. Start Simple

Complete the tasks that you know you are capable of getting done. Once you have one task or two simple tasks done, you are more inclined to fight past the rest.

1. Up The Stakes

Be aware of your set goals and look to them in these moments of procrastination. Whether it is working on your new hot bod at the gym or preparing for a final in neuroscience, having goals and aspirations will aid you more than you know.