Wandering with no endpoint: The best way to discover London

Photo courtesy Maya Anderman

Maya Anderman | Daily Trojan

A few days ago in class, our professor asked us about our first impression or memory of London. Immediately, my mind jumped back to the summer of 2012, the last time I was in the UK. I was participating in a summer program at Oxford, and on a free day decided to take a bus and venture into London on my own. Sitting upstairs on one of those classic big red buses, we finally entered London and I was in complete awe of this amazing city. Though I had been to London before with family, I always look back on this memory fondly because it symbolizes the first time I truly felt independent. It was also the first time I felt so connected to a place that, at a 16-year-old, I decided with absolute certainty that one day I wanted to live here.

Since that day, I have developed quite a fondness for exploring places on my own. Whether it be walking along the South Bank, sitting on the tube or reading a book on a bench in Hyde Park, there is nothing that fills me with quite as much joy as wandering around London by myself, with no particular destination.

For example, the other day I decided to take a short walk around our flat (update for those of you who read my last post —  the era of the “mega-bed” has sadly ended, and our room has been restored to normal dorm-style setup). Fifteen minutes into my stroll, I turned a corner and unintentionally found myself at St. Paul’s Cathedral, one of the most beautiful and famous spots in London. Amidst tourists, small children and an insane number of pigeons, I sat quietly on the steps of the cathedral and read my book while watching the beautiful sunset. Though it may seem simple, this evening has probably been one of the highlights of my trip so far. It reminded me of that same jolt of happiness and independence I experienced three years ago riding alone on that big red bus.

I think it is these kinds of outings that can resonate with someone the most while traveling in a new place. However, traveling almost always includes a time limit as well, and therefore the “aimless wandering” I enjoy so much is not something one can always experience.

This is one of the reasons I feel most grateful for having this opportunity to study abroad, rather than just visit. As a student in London for the next four months, I am taking full advantage of the fact that I do have the time and space to be able to really explore the city on my own, without the constant pressure of feeling like I have to see as much as possible in a short amount of time. Even if it is only for a few months, I am glad that I can at least attempt to feel like a true “Londoner” instead of a tourist.

Of course I’m not completely excusing myself from touristic guilty pleasures. In only two weeks of my time here, I have seen Shakespeare’s “As You Like It” at the Globe Theater, danced in the streets of Notting Hill Carnival and explored the beautiful grounds of Hampton Court Palace. Our itinerary for the rest of the semester is jam-packed with events of this sort, but I am certainly glad that in addition to these more typical outings I will also continue having the chance to take that alone time that means so much to me, and get lost in this wonderful city.

After asking us about our first impressions, this same professor stated that the best way to truly enjoy London is to “allow our individual experiences guide our interpretation of the city,” and I plan on doing just that.