Cody and JuJu share their pregame routines

Cody Kessler and JuJu Smith-Schuster would like everyone to know that neither of them wears the same pair of underwear every game. In fact, you won’t find them doing much of anything one might consider superstitious.

Game day can become a routine, and even though these players insist that they don’t buy into the hype, both definitely follow their own routines to get ready for every game. Prayer, food and music are staples of the Trojan football ritual before every game.

When asked whether or not they were superstitious, both players had very different reactions.

“This might sound contradictory, but I feel like I’m not superstitious, but I never go against it,” Kessler said. “If something works I’m not going to go against it, but I’m not going to overthink it. I won’t wear the same underwear every time, but I get in a routine.”

Smith-Schuster said that though Kessler might not consider himself superstitious, he has a clear game day style.

“Cody has the same dress style every time we play,” Smith-Schuster said, referring to the half shirt Kessler wears under his jersey and leg sleeve under his knee brace. “He probably doesn’t even recognize it.”

Far before the players get dressed for the game, though, Smith-Schuster is beginning his preparation. He begins every Saturday with a workout, either solitary or with a teammate.

“What I usually do is I wake up in the morning, I work out by myself or with a teammate, and the workout is different every time,” Smith-Schuster said. “I jog for 10 minutes on the treadmill, and then I lift and get a quick pump in —  both legs and upper body.”

Following this light workout, Smith-Schuster packs in the calories with his favorite breakfast food: chocolate croissants.

“I’ll have one or two, depending on the day. Or maybe three,” he said.

Smith-Schuster also revealed his longest standing game day tradition: eating Mambas, a fruit chew candy Smith-Schuster said has been part of his game day since he was a senior in high school.

“I’ll eat some before the game, and I eat some at halftime,” Smith-Schuster said.

Both Kessler and Smith-Schuster emphasized that they try to relax long before kickoff. This can consist of what a lot of other USC students do before the game: watch college football. Smith-Schuster also revealed that he will go for a brief walk around the USC neighborhood or wherever the hotel is during away games. But he insists he doesn’t stray far from the hotel in an unfamiliar area.

He will also call his mom to talk and pray with her before getting ready for the game. As the day progresses and the team starts getting ready for the game, the music begins to become more apparent in each individual player’s routine despite the fact that the locker room is already rocking.

“In the locker room we listen to music,” Kessler said. “We have a playlist that we know guys are getting pumped up to.”

In addition to the ambient noise, players will often have their own personalized playlists that get them going.

“I’ll listen to up-tempo house music; it gets the blood flowing,” Kessler said. “But then right before we go out I’ll slow it down to calm me down.”

Smith-Schuster listens to The XX, an indie pop band that he said helps him focus.

“It helps me think about what’s going to go on,” he said. “So you can visualize the game in your head.”

Smith-Schuster also revealed that fellow wide receiver Steven Mitchell Jr.’s game day music consists primarily of Beyoncé, with “Halo” being the main song.

The final dominant aspect of the pregame routine that seems to be consistent throughout the team is prayer.

In addition to Smith-Schuster’s time praying with his mother, once the players get into the Coliseum, they huddle up and receive a pep talk from head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Following that pep talk, the entire team is led in prayer.

Smith-Schuster said that this particular USC team is very religious and prayer is a large part of their pregame routine both together and individually.

Smith-Schuster said that a lot of the position groups such as the defensive linemen and their coach will get together and pray as a unit.

Another group that will assemble to pray together is a group of Samoans that are on the team.

Smith-Schuster himself is half Samoan, and he prays alongside offensive linemen Damien Mama, Toa Lobendahn and Viane Talamaivao as well as linebackers Osa Masina and Olajuwon Tucker and some of the Samoan coaches.

Students and fans may recognize this emphasis on prayer immediately following the team’s energetic burst from the tunnel onto the field as many players will head for the end zone and bow on one knee in prayer.

Though Smith-Schuster and Kessler are not superstitious fanatics, it is easy to say that each has found a comfortable routine with which they are confident.