Standing out with sneaker style

Sneakers aren't just for the gym anymore. Pair them with any outfit for a trendy look.  Samantha Kim | Daily Trojan

Sneakers aren’t just for the gym anymore. Pair them with any outfit for a trendy look. Samantha Kim | Daily Trojan

Sneakers have become a hot item on and off the runway this year. What used to be only workout gear, is now taking on a new role as a high fashion trend. The sporty and cool feel they give off can add an edge to any outfit. From Nikes to New Balances and Adidas, sneakers are what everybody is wearing this year.

One reason this trend has taken off is because, first and foremost, sneakers are comfortable. They are easy to walk in, especially when running around campus in between classes, and are incredibly economical. For a reasonable price, you can look cute whenever and wherever, without breaking the bank.

The year’s hottest shoe gives off a fun and athletic vibe, but what makes the sneaker pop even more is when it is paired with feminine attire and silhouettes. Take dresses for example. They are cute and flirty, but essentially basic and predictable and often paired with flats or sandals. However, trading the boring flip-flop with something new and unexpected, like sneakers, will add a little something special to the outfit, setting you apart from the rest of the crowd.

Now, picking a shoe that is right for you can be a real dilemma. These days, brands and companies of all kinds are coming out with hot sneaker styles. However, to guarantee you get the best bang for your buck, I recommend investing in an actual athletic shoe, such as those made by Nike or Adidas. These brands have made their fortunes by providing comfort with their athletic shoe wear over the years, so your feet will definitely thank you.

As for style and color, I suggest you take your entire wardrobe into consideration. Don’t just purchase whichever sneaker catches your eye first, but instead, think about versatility and how well the shoe will go with each of your closet pieces. Another thing to consider is high top versus low top sneakers. Both have the ability to create completely different looks. Low tops, as opposed to high tops, feel more causal and relaxed. On the other hand, high tops seem a bit more formal, or at least as fancy as sneakers can get. In terms of color, again think about versatility. I recommend going for a colors like black, white or gray, not just because they are classics, but also because they go with pretty much any outfit, and will be sure to complement your wardrobe.

Sneakers can be a great addition in your closet. Don’t be afraid to take a leap of faith by purchasing your first pair today.