Eli’s DT 4-1-1: Week of 9/7

USC News

• Movin’ on Up: For the third year in a row, USC and UCLA have tied in the U.S. News and World Report’s national university rankings. The annual report utilizes data on things like financial aid availability, graduation rates and student-to-faculty ratios.
  • The 411: We moved up two spots while the Bruins stayed in the same position. That’s progress people!

Campus Leaders

• Much-Needed Nap Time: USG president Rini Sampath is advocating for a fall break. Take a look at her stance here.
  • The 411: Can we have at least one day off after Labor Day? Pretty please?

College Life

Student Voices

• Going for the Gold: Last week, the U.S. Olympic Committee chose Los Angeles to represent the country as the world prepares to choose a new city to hold the summer games. The DT editorial board argued this week that USC could definitely benefit from the 2024 Olympics.
  • The 411: It’s hard to argue against this. Would Cafe 84 become Cafe 24?

Sports

• Taking Care of Business: The Trojans started off on the right foot this past weekend against Arkansas State. The mixture of Cody Kessler’s arm, a solid running game and an unshakable defense was just what the doctor ordered.
  • The 411: Here’s hoping the Trojans VANDALize their opponents this coming weekend! You see what I did there, right? Right?
  • You Just Got Spiked: The women’s volleyball team is undefeated, and the Women of Troy mean business. USC will end the week with back-to-back matches against Utah State, Pepperdine, Idaho State and New Mexico. The USC Classic is being held in the Galen Center Sept. 10-12 so you still got time to catch a couple games.
  • The 411: Those Pac-12 opponents never stood a chance.

Pop Culture

• Colbert Report 2.0: At long last, the wickedly talented and dangerously funny Stephen Colbert returned to television with an incredible first week as the new host of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert on CBS.
  • The 411: Nation, I believe we’re on the cusp of a great era of late-night television!

Eli Goodstein is a junior majoring in broadcast and digital journalism. His column, “Eli’s DT 4-1-1,” runs every Friday.