Bricks & Scones: Larchmont’s not-so-hidden gem

Jackie Mayuga | Daily Trojan

Jackie Mayuga | Daily Trojan

Like most collegiates, I had the intention of being productive and getting work done over the three-day weekend. But again, like most collegiates, I didn’t do anything to contribute to society and instead spent my time ignoring my responsibilities. So, upon my return to the City of Angels for school, I had to cram the workload of a weekend into a five-hour window.

The obvious solution? Work in a café. The unnecessary condition? Work in a café that I’ve never been to, add it to my ever-growing list of Coffee Tour locations and call it “research.” Always a good idea, right?

After spending way too much time cold-calling cafes about their Labor Day hours, my apartment mate and I settled on the humorously named “Bricks & Scones” in Larchmont because it was the only one open until 9 p.m.

As far as transportation goes, the drive out and the parking situation were surprisingly OK and — dare I say it — almost pleasant (key word: almost. I shake my fist at the confusing parking signs of L.A.). Spacewise, Bricks & Scones is a two-story café nestled in a larger building that houses other offices. From the outside, it resembles a classic L.A. gem — garden lights, potted plants and stereotypical wrought iron tables that are way too small. If you’re into the whole Scandinavian design shebang with clean corners and smooth surfaces, Bricks & Scones is definitely not for you. It boasts a charming wooden interior lined with mismatched chairs (if you can find one), an assortment of old school board games to borrow and a refreshing flood of outlets upon outlets. Neither my heart nor my laptop could have been more pleased.

With the abundance of outlets in mind, you could probably guess that Brick & Scones is a great study spot. In fact, everyone I saw was working — and on Labor Day, mind you. On my left, a semi-pretentious screenwriter was discussing her next adaptation; on my right, a girl doing the exact same thing as me and scrambling to get her work done; and behind me, an incredibly talented cartoonist sketching storyboards to his heart’s content. I think I was able to absorb everyone’s stellar work ethic by osmosis or something because I did non-stop work for hours. Woo!

Food and beverage-wise, as I’m sure you all care about the most, was slightly above average, but definitely nothing to write home about. They have an enormously expansive menu, but because I’m super creative, I ordered a vanilla latte. It was definitely sweeter than most I’ve had in the area, but it wasn’t bad. They take requests for latte art too, if that’s your thing.

The Apartment Mate and I requested flowers, and the tulips we were served were proof that their barista had a pretty solid amount of experience under his belt.

The only caveat to this cute hideout is that they are not cheap. I mean, I get it ­­— driving out to buy a $5 latte every week probably isn’t the best idea for my wallet. Brick & Scones might not break my bones, but they sure will hurt my bank account. And yes, I have been trying to get that phrase somewhere in this article since I started writing.

All in all, Bricks & Scones is a great place to work and grab a quick snack if you’re feelin’ bougie. You can find it at 403 N. Larchmont Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90004.

Jackie Mayuga is a junior majoring in applied and computational mathematics. Her blog column, #JackieLikesJava, runs every Saturday.