Four one-of-a-kind tortilla recipes for college students

tortilla!

As college students, we’re always looking to stretch a dollar as far as we can. When it comes to grocery shopping, it can be difficult to find affordable ingredients that can be used in multiple ways. Tortillas are one of my favorite go-­tos when it comes to making a quick, cheap and easy meal.

Gone are the days when tortillas are mostly used for our favorite burritos and enchiladas. Why not give a try incorporating tortillas into your breakfast, lunch or dinner easily and affordably for a new take on a traditional dish?

For my first meal of the day, I like to make either sweet or savory “breakfast quesadillas.”

The Sweet Route:

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

• ­1 tortilla (I buy whole grain)
  • ­1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter
  • ­1 banana
  • Small handful chocolate chips
Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

1. Spread a layer of peanut butter on one half of your tortilla as you will be folding it over.
  2. Chop your banana into small slices and evenly layer them on top of the peanut butter.
  3. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips over the bananas.
  4. Fold the empty half over the ingredients and place on a pan over medium heat.
  5. Let the tortilla brown and crisp before gently flipping it to the other side.
  6. Slide it off once both sides are to your desired level of crispness and the chocolate has melted.
  7. Enjoy your peanut butter, banana and chocolate chip quesadilla, a breakfast with both protein and whole grains!
Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

The Savory Route:

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

• ­1 tortilla
  • ­2 eggs
  • 1/2 a tomato
  • ­Cheese
  • ­Spinach (optional)
  • ­Avocado (optional)
  1. Cook your eggs in a pan how you like. I recommend scrambled, and I like to do with salt, pepper, cheese and spinach.
  2. On your open tortilla, pile your cooked eggs onto the middle of the tortilla.
  3. Add chopped tomatoes, cheese, salsa, avocado or any other additions you would like (bacon and tater tots are good, too.)
  4. Wrap your tortilla and enjoy a healthy, homemade breakfast burrito. This one is really easy to make and can be eaten on the go. Trust me, I’m always running late for class.

Tortillas are a staple in Mexican dishes such as enchiladas, and we’ve all made a quesadilla before. To try something new for lunch or dinner, wrap up your favorite snack or sandwich ingredients in one instead.

tortilla7

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Vegetarian option:

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

• ­1 tortilla
  • ­Veggies such as lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber
  • ­Favorite dressing or dip (I use Greek yogurt with salt and pepper)
  • ­Cous cous or quinoa (optional)
  1. Spread your choice of dressing or sub for a simple dip like Greek yogurt with seasonings over your tortilla.
  2. Place sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and any other ingredients you would like over. I like to add a bed of quinoa or cous cous beneath my veggies for added flavor, texture and protein.
  3. Feel free to drizzle your dressing or dip over your finished tower of goodness.
  4. Carefully wrap and take a bite of your veggie wrap or slice it in the middle for easier portions.
tortilla6

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Dessert:

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

And, last but certainly not least, dessert –– something we can’t leave out. This is a simple and fun way to turn a boring tortilla into something crunchy and sweet! For this dessert you’ll need:

• 2 tortillas
  • ­1 tablespoon of melted butter
  • ­1⁄3 cup sugar
  • ­1-2 tablespoons cinnamon
Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

1. Combine your sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.

tortilla2

2. Coat both sides of your tortilla in the melted butter and cut into even triangles like you would a pizza.

tortilla4

3. Toss each slice individually in the cinnamon sugar combination and lay flat on a baking sheet lined with foil.

tortilla5

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

4. Place into a 350-degree oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. I left my tortilla chips sitting out overnight and believe they tasted even better and flakier!

5. Serve with a fruit salsa, a sweet dip or even a simple dollop of yogurt.

Well, there you have it. Next time you pick up a pack of tortillas at the grocery store, try these dishes instead of your typical burrito.