Top 5 College Closet Essentials

Sneakers, a hat, a watch, jeans and a light sweater are versatile enough to be worn all year with many different outfits. Samantha Kim | Daily Trojan

College often means studying, studying and more studying. It almost seems like there is no room to think about anything else other than classes. Nothing like friends, family and especially fashion. When rushing to get to class every morning because you overslept, how you look may be the last thing on your mind. You might often simply throw on the typical sweatshirt and jeans combo once again. However, looking cute for class, without breaking the bank, can be easy as long as you have a few closet essentials handy.

Closet must-haves for college are simple. They are staple items, so you will definitely get bang for your buck. Items include: a pair of sneakers, a hat, a watch, a pair of jeans and a light sweater. These are essentials for those who are seeking ease and style in their day-to-day wear for class.

Sneakers are a must, especially this season. While previously used for just working out, sneakers have become a huge trend this year — mainly due to their versatility. They come in an endless range of colors and, more importantly, are comfortable when constantly running through campus. I encourage you to invest in a good pair. Sneakers have flexibility in terms of what you wear them with, and they are a great way to look trendy all semester long.

As gross as this may sound, when in a morning rush washing your hair may not always be a top priority. Let’s be honest, I am not the only one who has skipped a wash here or there, and there will most likely be a few more slip ups as the year progresses. However, when on the way to class, and the day’s dry shampoo just isn’t enough, it is best to throw on a hat. Whether it be a fedora, baseball cap or beanie it has the ability to transform an unwashed head of hair into something a bit more presentable.

Watches have made a comeback in recent years as a hot fashion item. They have the ability to casually accessorize an outfit. Though many people wear watches more for their aesthetic qualities these days, a watch is an important classroom accessory. Sure, telling time can easily be done with one lift of a phone, but how many times do you also get distracted, failing to resist the temptation of also checking your messages or playing a game? Purchase a watch as a closet essential for class. It keeps you more productive and also adds a little flare to any outfit.

The fourth must-have item for college students is a good pair of jeans. Though this may seem so basic and ordinary, a good pair of jeans can change a lot about your day. A flattering fit and material can add comfort and ease while sitting long hours in class or making your way around campus. Think about flexibility when purchasing a good pair as they are an everyday staple.

The final college closet essential for looking cute in class is a lightweight sweater. Trade the baggy sweatshirt in for a well-fitting sweater. Since we are still in sunny California, I would still say to keep it thin so that you are not suffering in the smoldering heat. Throw it on over a tank top, over the shoulder, or even consider layering. The options are endless.

These pieces can look great separate or all together. Just remember, always being in class doesn’t mean you have to constantly sacrifice your wardrobe.