Top 10 TV Fall shows

The first season of Black-ish, starring Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross as married black couple Dre and Rainbow Johnson trying to raise their four kids, captivated viewers and brought in amazing ratings for ABC. Anderson and Ross’s chemistry was on point, and each episode brought more laughs than the previous one. Viewers should expect to see more of Dre trying to instill what it’s like to be black in America with disastrous yet hilarious results.

How to Get Away with Murder (Sept. 24, ABC)

Viola Davis gave an outstanding performance as Professor Annalise Keating, winning the People’s Choice Award and Screen Actors Guild Award for “Best Actress.” The first season of this crime drama ended with Frank being revealed  as Lila’s killer and Rebecca dying. Press releases for the second season have said that Rebecca’s killer will be revealed, but not to every single character on the show, which shows great potential for another juicy plotline.

Jane the Virgin (Oct. 12, CW)

After a positively reviewed debut season, with Gina Rodriguez (Jane Villanueva) winning the Golden Globe for “Best Actress” for her role, fans are looking for another hilarious yet dramatic second season. The big speculation is when Jane will get her son Mateo back from Sin Rostro, and secondly, which man she will marry. Will it be Rafael (Justin Baldoni), the father of Jane’s child, or Michael (Brett Dier), Jane’s scheming ex-fiancé?

Keeping Up with the Kardashians (Sept. 20, E!) 

Love them or hate them, you can’t get away from them — the Kardashian-Jenner family has taken over practically every aspect of the entertainment world. Caitlyn Jenner’s docu-series I Am Cait wrapped up last week, and the spin-off series Dash Dolls will premiere around the same time as the eleventh season of KUWTK. In this season, fans should definitely expect to see a lot about Kim Kardashian’s second pregnancy with husband Kanye West, but there are also some big question marks that loom over the premiere. Khloé Kardashian and James Harden are still a big mystery. And now that Kylie Jenner has turned 18, she and rapper boyfriend Tyga have been very public about their relationship – will that get any air time? But the biggest speculation is whether Scott Disick will be returning – he and Kourtney ended their decade-long relationship, which resulted in three children, in July. While neither party has released an official statement, rumors that Disick’s drug and alcohol issues, as well as a possible affair were the cause of the split.

Empire (Sept. 23, Fox) 

Empire was a surprise hit for Fox, as the musical-drama received critical acclaim, brought in stellar ratings, and was the talk on Twitter every Wednesday evening. The second season is looking to bring an even bigger bang than the first, with a slew of famous stars lining up as guest actors: Chris Rock, Kelly Rowland and possibly Mariah Carey, among many others. The show’s return will continue with Lucious (Terrence Howard) still behind bars, trying to figure out who snitched on him for killing Bunkie. Meanwhile, his three sons are still battling for control of his record label, Empire, while Cookie (Taraji P. Henson) keeps on slaying every second of screen time she appears in.

The Vampire Diaries (Oct. 8, CW)

After the shocking announcement that Nina Dobrev, who plays main character Elena Gilbert, was going to be leaving after the conclusion of the sixth season, viewers were in limbo. After all, Dobrev was the main character of the show and played an integral role in the plot. Things got more complicated with the announcement from Candice Accola, who plays Caroline Forbes, that she is expecting a baby. However, Accola has confirmed that she will still be on the show amidst her exciting news, and that her character will, in her words, “get her bite back.”

Gotham (Sept. 21, Fox) 

The 21st century revivals of the Batman series have been widely acclaimed, from Christopher Nolan’s brilliant Dark Knight film trilogy to the upcoming Superman vs. Batman film. Gotham, however, has been a pleasant surprise, with The O.C. alum Benjamin Mackenzie giving a spectacular performance as James Gordon, one of the few honest cops in the corrupt city of Gotham. The first season was a hit and mainly focused on the heroes of Gotham, whereas the second season looks to turn the tables and center around the villains. Cameron Monaghan is set to play “Jerome,” better known as the Joker, but his character will be causing chaos behind bars at Arkham Asylum, not running around the streets of Gotham as Heath Ledger’s famed portrayal did in The Dark Knight.

The Walking Dead (Oct. 11, AMC) 

The zombies are back and, this time, the show’s creators are looking to expand the show by adding remixed material from the original comic series, as well as providing flashback backstories for some of the characters. New cast members have been added and the sixth season is going to be split into two parts, with the second half premiering in February.

American Horror Story: Hotel (Oct. 7, FX)

Everyone’s favorite horror series is back and looking to return with a bang after the departure of longtime favorite Jessica Lange. Lady Gaga is making her acting debut as the Countess, the owner of the mysterious and demonic Hotel Cortez. In addition to Gaga, we will be seeing some other new faces, such as Max Greenfield, Naomi Campbell and Darren Criss. This season looks to do two things, in addition to terrifying everybody. First, have a true ensemble cast. It is hard to deny the past three seasons have been based around Lange’s characters, who viewers deemed as all being selfish, murderous women trying to retain their youth. Hopefully, AHS will return to its ensemble roots that were planted in the first season.

Scream Queens (Sept. 22, Fox) 

Ryan Murphy’s new comedy-horror series has been receiving quite the buzz, as the YouTube ads have been playing for weeks – however, they’ve done their job by successfully spiking viewer interest. Murphy is looking to combine the humor of Glee and the terror of American Horror Story with an all-star cast including original Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis, along with Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, KeKe Palmer, Abigail Breslin, Nick Jonas, Ariana Grande, Skyler Samuels, Glen Powell, Diego Boneta and more. The premise of the show is at the fictional Wallace University; Roberts plays Queen B*tch Chanel Oberlin, the President of the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority, who is forced by Dean Cathy Munsch, portrayed by Curtis, to accept anyone who wants to become a pledge. There’s just one problem – someone dressing up as the school mascot, the Red Devil, is wreaking havoc and murdering just about anyone who gets some screen time. The show looks to run as a classic “whodunit” murder mystery, as well as provide some great humor.