Mac DeMarco hits the mark with his new album Another One

mac-demarco-another-one-album-cover-e1436974081332-700x423

While sporting overalls that appear to be part of an angler’s wardrobe on the cover of his new album Another One, Mac DeMarco is reeling in audiences with his latest eight-track production, released last month on Aug. 7. DeMarco has steadily gained supporters with the success of previous releases such as 2 and Salad Days, along with a world tour and a current U.S. tour. Known for his signature gap-toothed grin and quasi-tropical beach guitar tone, DeMarco’s strong fan base will undoubtedly be pleased with his latest release that will be featured on his next tour.

Another One starts off with “The Way You’d Love Her,” featuring DeMarco’s signature guitar sound. It has different flangers, chorus and reverberation effects that have given his previous albums a spacy, drifting vibe. This sound complements the acoustic studio drum styles that lay down the grooving rhythms.

In the track titled after the album, DeMarco adds a simple electric synth that adds a deeper tone to a heartfelt arrangement. It keeps from being overproduced while  remaining soulful. Mac’s voice, which does not often explore a great range, maintains a day-dreamy, wondering presence through the album, and as he sings on the title track, “Afraid she might not love you anymore/And though she says she does and hasn’t lost your trust/Who could be there knockin’ at her door/Must be another one.” DeMarco might seem to have an off-beat, humorous personality during live shows and interviews, but on “Another One” he is certainly in tempo with his pondering of an uncertain relationship. Mac’s reputation for having an outlandish personality and artistry may be true, but the songs can hit home for any listener.

His vocal presence and songwriting continue to only get better with later tracks, such as “A Heart Like Hers,” which illustrates a somber tale of broken trust in a former romance’s heart, where he’d “Never believe in a heart like hers again.” DeMarco’s lyricism on this latest release is evidence of a trend to a more wholesome, mature production, without sacrificing the unique style that made hits like “Let Her Go” and “Ode to Viceroy.”

What Another One demonstrates that he has cultivated his talents with more refined instrumentals and lyrical exploration of love and love lost, on his best-articulated release thus far. DeMarco’s album ends with more introspect and retrospect on past love, on the drifting “Without Me,” followed by the final track, the instrumental “My House on the Water,” a calm track with keys overlaying the sounds of small waves hitting against the rocks. One can imagine the scene inspiring this last song would be no different than the location DeMarco is at on his faded album cover.

A simple-sounding album, DeMarco’s Another One really grows on the listener. This artist has developed yet another success here, with a refined lens on his signature style.