COLUMN: Upcoming Banned Books Week highlights literary masterpieces

Since 1982, more than 11,300 books have been challenged in schools, bookstores and libraries. These books include world-renowned and highly influential classics. Some of the novels that have been banned throughout history do not surprise me, particularly those that carry heavy political undertones and critiques, such as Catch-22, Animal Farm and Brave New World. However, some of the others are less obvious. I was surprised to find out that some of my favorite novels, such as The Grapes of Wrath, Alice in Wonderland, The Catcher in the Rye and Gone With The Wind, have been banned by various governments and governing bodies. After thinking about it for a while, however, I realized that this made perfect sense. A good book will challenge its readers’ opinions and prejudices. It will often provoke and shock. It will critique the social order and showcase the truth of life in certain cultures and under certain regimes. Of course, by taking these risks, authors will inevitably make a few enemies. Therefore, in honor of the upcoming National Banned Books Week, I’d like to celebrate various books I love that have been banned.

A lot of novels are banned in schools because of their sexual content or profanity. Of course, this is often used as a superficial reason to strike something from the syllabus when the real reason might be more complex. One of my all-time favorite books, In Cold Blood, was banned in an Advanced Placement English class in Georgia in 1966 due to a parent’s complaint regarding the sexual and violent components of the novel, as well as the profanity. What surprised me about this book’s banning was that it was part of an AP English syllabus. Students in these programs are clearly devoted to literature and are at a mature age. It is almost impossible to find a book that has not one curse word, no sexual intonation or violence that is not one written for infants. I loved the realism of In Cold Blood and compared to some of the other books on this list, it is relatively inoffensive. It is simply a gripping thriller, which also explores the human psyche in a poetic and elegant manner.

Another novel banned in schools and libraries across the nation is The Catcher In The Rye, for similar reasons to In Cold Blood. Throughout the 1950s in particular, it was labeled “filthy” and “blasphemous,” among other things. What I think is so absurd about banning this novel is that it is such an iconic American novel, one that defines the country’s cultural and literary landscape. One school or library ban will never stop people from reading it, as it is such a central part of America’s civilization that to ban it is to ignore a part of one’s own literary heritage. I understand why parents complain about certain books and why schools decide to ban them. After all, many adults want to protect and hide children and teenagers from the reality of the world for as long as possible. However, it is important to acknowledge that we are constantly bombarded by sexual and violent content in the media and in our everyday lives. Banning books does nothing to prevent this, and there is a difference between a fantastic work of literature that acknowledges human nature and this other banal content.

It isn’t just schools and libraries that ban books. Animal Farm was banned by the Soviet Union immediately after its publication in 1945 due to its thinly veiled criticism of communist values and practices. This is somewhat unsurprising, as the USSR was an extreme regime in which there was high censorship, and many other books were also banned. What is more shocking, in my opinion, is the fact that The Grapes of Wrath was banned in several parts of America, including California, due to its unflattering portrayal of the state. This took me aback not only because of the fact that this is again, one of America’s great novels, but also because America is not a dictatorship and should not have such strict censorship. This happens to be my all-time favorite book, and its beauty and power are the best showcase of this time in America’s history. To  disregard the book completely is absurd.

In the end, this is what I love about books. I love that they have something to say and that they have a purpose. They educate us about cultures and time periods, and they also open our eyes and minds to issues and ideas that we may have been ignorant of before. Most importantly, they do this with elegance, with beauty and in a way which is pleasurable to the reader. They tell us a story and enchant us, unlike any other medium really can. So, my advice to the reader is read as many books possible. Read books that have been banned and try to figure out why they were banned. What is it about this piece of literature that someone was too embarrassed or scared to let other people read? More often than not, the books that are banned are some of the most powerful and influential novels in existence, so try one of these banned books next week and see if you think they live up to their prohibited status.

Kirsten Greenwood is a sophomore majoring in English. Her column, “By the Book,” runs every Friday.