POINT: LA’s bold new plan to support the homeless might actually work

Last Tuesday, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced a plan to introduce $100 million to remedy the growing homeless population in Los Angeles. Along with City Council members, Garcetti declared a “state of emergency” on the issue. Though many have questioned this new initiative, Garcetti’s plan targets the problem at its core, providing more affordable or free housing to help Angelenos living on the streets.

Since Garcetti took office in 2013, the homeless population in the city has grown by 12 percent. Additionally, every month, it is estimated that 13,000 Angelenos become transient. There is no question that the issue is a pervasive one that the city needs to fix. However, critics have questioned the plan’s vast budget, which includes an additional $13 million set aside for emergency purposes. The mayor and his council team have also yet to release the specific details of this plan to stop homelessness in Los Angeles once and for all.

Whatever the case might be for dissent, this new plan marks a huge symbol for reform. For the first time, City Council has created a dialogue about the underlying problems of homelessness and the city government’s role in rectifying the situation. Their involvement includes creating more city dwellings for the homeless population and enforcing shelters and churches to stay open for longer periods of time. Social services and support centers would also be available for the destitute population. Moreover, Garcetti vowed that all commercial establishments would match the $15 per hour minimum wage requirement.

As exhibited by past urban areas that have focused on targeting their homelessness problem, this plan allows for more supportive, transitional forms of housing. In San Jose, where the number of homeless people tops national lists, the city’s plan to allocate funds and resources to construct housing projects saw a 14 percent reduction in its homeless population. A similar Housing First template used in Utah achieved the same results and actually saved taxpayers money in the long run. These cities, along with Los Angeles, have identified that the root of the urban homeless problem is the surging housing prices putting people out of their homes.

Additionally, Garcetti’s plan matches the National Alliance to End Homelessness’ outline for effective solutions. These 10 essential steps include plan, data collection, emergency prevention, systems prevention, outreach, shorten homelessness, rapid re-housing, services, permanent housing and income. Among this list, Garcetti’s brief plan already matches all of the requirements for a more holistic method to stop homelessness. When more specifics of the plan are released, even more ground should be covered. For now, the breadth of Garcetti’s proposal is a sign of optimism for the city.

Ultimately, the homelessness problem in Los Angeles isn’t just a government issue; it’s a community issue. A walk around USC’s perimeter is a clear indication that there should be more sympathy and engagement with the people often classified as second-class citizens. It’s our job, in the face of massive gentrification, to make sure that everyone surrounding USC is covered.

Mayor Garcetti’s proposition might be premature, but as of late, it seems like the most direct way to correct the homelessness issue. But that’s just the first step.

Danni Wang is a junior majoring in psychology. She is also the lifestyle editor of the Daily Trojan. “Point/Counterpoint” runs Mondays.