Rewts: It’s always tea time

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Looking for a new, chill study hub where you can sip on something sweet? Rewts Tea Bar is your destination. Conveniently located on South Hoover, a hip tea bar nestled in the busy L.A. area sits across from student favorites such as the Nature’s Brew and Bacaro. Rewts Tea Bar offers visitors not only a variety of hot and cold tea beverages, but also a relaxed yet modern ambience, perfect for finishing up an assignment, reading a book or scrolling through Pinterest; outlets are in abundance.

Though the location is narrow and a bit tight on space, Rewts still offers a decent amount of seating for those looking to stick around. Up front is a small table by the window on a little patch of “grass,” and bar-­style seating is available alongside the workspace of the baristas. Past the front counter, there are tables with backless chairs on one side and booth-­style seating but with a more industrial feel. It’s basically a block of cement, but the pillows definitely add color and accents to the environment. On the opposite side are little individual work spaces in triangle shapes attached to the wall. This is perfect if you want to enjoy the cafe but need a little bit of your own space.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

As far as the tea goes, Rewts offers customers a variety of hot and iced teas including tea lattes and blended smoothies. I had been told that their boba was a must-try. Eager to try the tea additive at this location, I visited and ordered the Rewts House Tea Latte Iced, but when it came time to add the boba to my order, I ran into some bad luck. I was informed that they had unfortunately sold out of their boba since they make it fresh daily. Better luck next time, I thought.

I headed back the day after my first visit to take another shot at trying Rewts’ boba while I finished up an assignment. But to my dismay, I was once again confronted with the same dilemma; the last order had just been sold to the customer ahead of me. The employee apologized and kindly offered I try something else; he recommended the pudding to go with my matcha iced latte.

“If you don’t like it, I’ll toss it out and make you something else at no charge,” he assured me. Though I was upset and a bit annoyed of not being able to sample their boba as I was reviewing the location, I did appreciate the heartfelt customer service. 

The texture of the pudding was a little too chunky for me, but it did add to the sweetness and flavor of the matcha. I enjoyed both their iced house tea and matcha lattes. The blend of flavors in the house tea went well with creamy milk and a bit of sweetener. The matcha was creamy as well but also had great earthy and calm flavor tones.

If you’re looking for something more refreshing, I’d recommend trying a blended drink or an iced tea­. My friend got a blended drink with passion fruit, and it was sweet and tangy. Food is not yet for sale, so make sure to bring a snack or plan on heading across the street for some food if you’re know you’re going to get hungry.

I will definitely be heading back to Rewts when I need to study or catch up with friends. Hopefully next time I won’t leave without the boba.

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan

Natalie Laczewski | Daily Trojan