Five essential smart shopping tips

Follow these five shopping tips to ensure you only buy what you need and will actually wear. Samantha Kim | Daily Trojan

For many college students, you may notice money gets tight every now and then. In-between paying for school supplies, food and fun, there might not be enough money left for your wardrobe. Trying to stay up-to-date with constantly changing trends has the ability to empty your wallet. Here are a few tips to helping prevent you from breaking the bank during your next shopping spree:

Rule 1: Buy what you love, not just what you think you need

I am all for splurging every now and then for a pair of shoes or new top, but knowing when to spend and when to save is important. If I am absolutely positive I will use or wear an item to its fullest capacity, only then will I make the purchase. I mostly spend my money on my more basic, everyday items like jeans, solid tanks and sneakers because I now they are easy to match an outfit with, and I’ll wear them all the time.

Remember: avoid impulse buys by thinking ahead. Consider how many times you will really wear whatever you are trying to buy, and think about how it looks with other pieces in your wardrobe.

Rule 2: Try on everything before purchase

Though I am guilty of forgetting this rule, it’s important to try everything on before purchase. Do not simply assume that it will fit or look good on you just because it did great things for the model. Even for smaller buys like t-shirts or leggings, I high suggest trying them on first. This is the best way to determine comfort and fit. Save yourself the possibility of the having to make a trip to return and just try it on.

Rule 3: Avoid online shopping

Many might disagree, but I would say stop the online shopping all together. As fun and easy as shopping online seems, it can be a huge waste of money. Prices add up quickly when you keep adding more to your online basket, and you never get to try the item on before purchasing it. Photos can be extremely misleading, and it is most likely going to look different on you than on the models, who have the advantage of Photoshop and personal trainers.

Rule 4: Don’t go crazy for sales

Sales are fantastic, especially for those who are on a tight budget. However, be careful what you do chose to buy from promotional sales. Make sure you truly love the item and aren’t just buying it because it comes at a great price. Know for sure that you will put it to good use.

Rule 5: Skip high-maintenance items

I would say forget anything that requires too much effort, or too much money to maintain. Splurging here and there is fine by me, but if the pricey item is going to cost me even more at the dry cleaners every time its in of a need a wash, then forget it. A student budget is tight enough and paying more for an item, even after making the hefty buy, doesn’t seem practical.