Men’s and women’s golf finish tournaments

Back-to-back · Junior Karen Chung led the Women of Troy to a fifth place finish at the Windy City Intercollegiate. She has kicked off the season with the Women of Troy’s best back-to-back performance since 2013. - Courtesy of Sports Information

Back-to-back · Junior Karen Chung led the Women of Troy to a fifth place finish at the Windy City Intercollegiate. She has kicked off the season with the Women of Troy’s best back-to-back performance since 2013. – Courtesy of Sports Information

On Tuesday, the men’s and women’s golf teams concluded tournaments in Portland and Chicago, respectively. The men’s golf team finished three days of play in the Nike Golf Collegiate Invitational with a tie for second place, while the women’s team finished in fifth place at the Windy City Collegiate.

Senior Andrew Levitt had a career-best performance, tying for fifth place and shooting a 67 in his final round. Sophomore Jonah Texeira tied with Levitt in the fifth spot to lead the Trojans to a second place finish. Levitt and Texeira tied for fifth at 9-under 206.

Wake Forest finished in sole possession of the title while USC and Duke tied for second. The Trojans combined for a 34-under 826. Four Trojans shot a combined 12-under on the final nine holes to come close to Wake Forest, but could not catch the Demon Deacons, who led the entire match.

Levitt and Texeira stayed mostly even during the first nine but really gained momentum on the final nine holes. Levitt had six birdies on the final nine holes to shoot for 5-under. Texeira had four birdies to shoot 4-under.

“Andrew had a great summer. We are proud of him for getting through a rough patch with his golf and coming out the other side,” head coach Chris Zambri said. “We definitely wanted to win and are disappointed that we did not. That being said, there were some really great things out of everyone, but especially Andrew and Jonah.”

Sophomore Sean Crocker shot 6-under and tied for 16th place, junior Rico Hoey shot 5-under to tie for 19th and freshman Justin Suh finished in a tie at 39th at par 215.

The men’s golf team will play  Oct. 16-18 at the U.S. Collegiate Championship in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Junior Karen Chung led the Women of Troy to a fifth place finish in Chicago with a tie for second place while junior Tiffany Chan tied for 14th place.

The Women of Troy were in the hunt for a consecutive win to open the season but fell short in the end of the match. Northwestern, Arizona and Georgia finished in a three-way tie for first at 12-under 852 while Arizona State took fourth at 11-under 853.

Chung opened the season with a win at 12-under last week and followed that up with a tie for second at 7-under 209. It is USC’s best back-to-back finishes since senior Kyung Kim opened the 2013-14 season with a win and tied for second at this same event.

Chan tied for 14th at 2-under 214 while junior Gabriella Then tied for 19th at 1-under 215, each finishing in the top 20 for the second consecutive tournament.

The Women of Troy will next play at the Stanford Intercollegiate on Oct. 18-20 at the Stanford G.C.