Freshman orientation tips that will last through senior year

Alexa Edwards | Daily Trojan

Alexa Edwards | Daily Trojan

College is truly a self-reflecting time, and it goes by much more quickly than we expect it to. When you come to orientation as a freshman, you might be in denial that you will all too soon be a senior, or that you should even listen to all those boring informational sessions. However, here are five things that you should actually pay attention to at orientation and should continue to keep in mind throughout your four years of college:  

1. Your Mental health is a priority
As college students, we tend to romanticize the idea of being busy and overwhelmed and attribute it to simply being a college student. However, your mental health is not just important — it is a priority. You’re not a bad person for taking breaks from work and your social life to take care of yourself. If you ignore the warning signals your body is sending you now, it will turn into a habit later in life. Put yourself first. If you’re in need of an outside support system, the USC Engemann Student Health Center offers individual student counseling and group counseling.

2. Time management = life management
Try not to fall for the seduction of procrastination. Though an assignment may not be due for another week, when you have other commitments as well you’ll realize how important it is to be ahead of the curve. While you may have the ability to finish assignments the night before, it doesn’t necessarily mean you should. At the very least, you should be brainstorming by the time it is assigned, as this can give you the necessary time to change ideas and get advice from classmates and professors. For advice on time and stress management, pay a visit to the USC Kortschak Center for Learning and Creativity on the third floor of the Student Union.

3. Office hours don’t have to be awkward
Most people reserve office hours for the times when they need to argue against a grade, but office hours should be used prevent this situation in the first place. Not all professors seem approachable, but if office hours are listed and are not “by appointment only,” I encourage you to attend. Whether it’s one question or one hundred questions, they are yielding themselves as a resource to you. It can also come in handy later if you’re interested in being a TA or need a recommendation letter. Office hours not only help in class, but it demonstrates the type of student you are. Be a good student!

4. Your RA is your friend
The residential assistants are more than just the people who send out emails on your floor. They are, in fact, students who decided to volunteer their time and energy to helping other college students have a memorable experience. They are trained in everything they do, so they are a great source of help — especially for issues that run deep with emotion. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone without judgment, which is one of the many things RA’s can provide. Establish a relationship with your RA and be sure to attend some of the events they host. They usually have free food, too.

5. You are the only one who can measure your success
On a prestigious campus like USC, it’s basically a battlefield of competition for internships and jobs. It’s important to not be discouraged by everyone else’s success. Instead, focus on the things you want to do, and how you are going to achieve those goals. There is no foolproof path to success, but mimicking others surely isn’t the way. The only person in charge of your life is you even if it feels like employers are holding the reigns. You’ll find that success is often a measure of satisfaction more than anything else.