Your guide to gluten-free delivery options around campus

Photo courtesy of Biran McGuirk, Flickr

Photo courtesy of Brian McGuirk, Flickr

When it comes to food, USC students appreciate two things — convenience and a good price. With food delivery apps like Tapingo, GrubHub and Postmates, getting “fast” food delivered to their doorstep has never been easier. Yet for Trojans who are gluten-free, getting a quick bite to eat is not so easy.

Los Angeles is famous for its health-consciousness and trendy food culture, and like the many food fads before it, the “gluten-free” lifestyle has found its place here. But “gluten-free” isn’t just another Hollywood A-lister’s new swanky diet.

Today, 1 in 333 Americans have celiac disease, a statistic that is growing as diagnostic methods improve. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that is activated by gluten consumption. The best treatment for celiac disease is living gluten-free, which can get even harder in college. Luckily, L.A. offers many gluten free delivery options, to make life a little easier for the gluten-intolerant. Here are a few that are both reasonably priced and convenient:

1.    Lucifers Pizza

After taking two midterms in one day last week, the only thing I wanted was a good nap and pizza. California Pizza Kitchen at TCC, my go to stop, however, does not offer gluten-free options at its location at USC. Lucifers Pizza offers a similar selection of pizzas and price range (of around $8 for a personal pizza), with the added bonus of being gluten-free. They deliver to campus and stay open until 11 p.m.

1.    Amazebowls

The Amazebowls truck, which is often parked near the finger fountain, offers acai bowls and smoothies that are gluten-free. Amazebowls is the perfect post-midterm pick-me-up for days when you want something light but sweet. And, with the no-delivery-charge promotion on Tapingo delivery app, the total cost of an Amazebowl order is around $5.

1.    Azla Ethiopian

If you’re looking to mix things up, check out Azla Ethiopian, located off Grand Avenue.  With a gluten-free kitchen, everything Azla serves is up for grabs, including spicy Ethiopian curry. Add a side of flatbread and order with a friend and you will easily meet the $20 delivery minimum.

While living gluten-free requires research and planning ahead, the gluten-free options near campus are not confined to just the dining halls. Getting gluten-free food can be easy and affordable if you find for the right place and take advantage of food delivery apps!