UCLA party under speculation for racist undertones

On Oct. 6, members Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Alpha Phi sorority organized a “Kanye Western” themed party, where some students dressed in baggy garments, put on cushioned bottoms and even sported a hint of totally racist “blackface.”

While the party is still under investigation by campus officials, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Alpha Phi have had their social activities suspended while their national offices look into the incident.

Dressing up as a celebrity is different than dressing up as a stereotype. And it’s definitely necessary to understand this difference. However, it seemed clear that this party, whether intentional or not, demeaned demographics, a culture and a history of oppressed people. An event like this is absolutely backwards, insensitive and unquestionably a form of cultural appropriation.

One’s cultural background is never an excuse to dress up in a costume and be made a mockery of. The backlash from the controversial party sparked several protests among the UCLA campus. About 200 protesters wore black and marched to Chancellor Gene Block’s office Thursday afternoon, many holding signs with messages such as “Black culture is not a theme,” “Our culture is not a costume” and “Black Bruins Matter.”

As USC students, it’s essential to recognize that this incident was not OK and there are no exceptions to any event that offends a person’s lifestyle or culture. It’s also important that we voice our support toward UCLA students who have felt personally victimized and outraged by the event, this serving as a prime example of what we should rally and stand against.

The “Kanye-Western” party isn’t just an isolated event. Many fraternities, even among the USC campus, have been criticized for questionable events that display some form of cultural appropriation. Last year, Arizona State University suspended the Tau Kappa Epsilon chapter for its offensive “MLK Black Party.” Recently, ASU’s Sun Devils Athletics “asked fans not to paint their faces at any sporting events,” requesting prior to ASU Football’s annual “blackout” game, demonstrating a powerful stance on the issue of cultural appropriation.

Photos of students at the party appeared to show them having a good time with absolutely no remorse for their arguably offensive costumes. It also seems as if mocking cultures has become a normal trend, even among the media and society. Celebrities from Miley Cyrus to Kylie Jenner have been criticized for sporting cornrows and dreadlocks, with backlash coming from Nicki Minaj and Amandla Stenberg.

“If you want to enjoy our culture and our lifestyle,” said Minaj in a New York Times Magazine interview, “bond with us, dance with us, have fun with us, twerk with us, rap with us, then you should also know what affects us, what is bothering us, what we feel is unfair to us. You shouldn’t not want to know that.”

This party could have easily avoided the racist undertones that were present. Minaj makes the valid point that it is okay to embrace this culture as long as one is aware and compassionate of what hardships were and are still present in the black community. If students took this into consideration before getting dressed up for this party, the racism and actions demonstrated could have been prevented.

There is no problem in celebrating one’s culture and the success of artists like Kanye West, but there is a problem when it is parodied to the point that fellow peers feel attacked.

1. Emma
    Emma says:

Racism still runs freely through the veins of uneducated individuals and affects us all. It’s important to ask ourselves the origins of certain words (ratchet, ghetto, etc..), clothes, hairstyles, etc. Thank you Whitney for this article!

2. True
    True says:

Fuck that. I would have put a pair of box cutters to whitey’s face to cut the charcoal used on their faces off to teach them a lesson they will never forget.

• Karen Burns
      Karen Burns says:

…. and, True …… you would be dead in a few second if you did anything close to that. Tired of life? We can take care of that!

3. I_h8_disqus
    I_h8_disqus says:

White students, the message is pretty clear. Don’t assimilate anything from black or Latino culture into your style, and don’t make fun of any person of color. Just let them live with their own style choices without any imitation, feedback or commentary.

• Karen Burns
      Karen Burns says:

l_h8_disqus — no one gives a rat’s ass about what some black or HISPANIC (btw, there is no such thing as “LATINO” … Latinos died out centuries ago) “culture” ….. these are nothing but SAVAGES … ugly MFers, too. So there!

4. samdman
    samdman says:

noone wore blackface lmao. also if you actually saw the outfits of people at the party, they were dressed in flannels, yeezy tees, and distressed jeans. more SLP/punk rock kanye than any racial stereotype.

5. Gargo-Rican
    Gargo-Rican says:

I am not surprised. There is probably racial undertones across the majority of universities in this country.