Le Petit Paris presents French cuisine to Downtown

In an unassuming building on Spring Street lies an elegant French paradise in what was once the lobby of the Hotel Stowell, a trendy hotel Charlie Chaplin called home when he was just starting his acting career. Le Petit Paris opened barely a month ago, but it is already making a name for itself as the “most French” restaurant in Los Angeles.

Cannes restaurateurs Fanny and David Rolland brought new life to the historic building while maintaining its most distinctive features. The iron bass doors hide rows of small cafe tables covered in generously sized wine glasses and bottles of olive oil. Large, donut-shaped crystal chandeliers sparkle overhead. A grand staircase leads patrons to an even more stylish second floor with a bar and plenty of comfortable armchairs to lounge in if a table is too formal. Red velvet chairs at the bar create an inviting atmosphere unlike the more uptight French establishments around town. The portrait next to the downstairs bar of Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby toasting viewers with a martini will surely make patrons feel like they’re in the company of friends.

The beauty of the restaurant is in the details. From the fresh red roses decorating each table to pink salt next to the pepper, Le Petit Paris spared no expense in presentation. Small black lamps with laser cutouts of the Eiffel Tower sets the mood downstairs. Batchelder tiles from the Hotel Stowell complement the gold crown molding of the black pillars. It may sound like a lot to take in — and it is at first — but the space is large and surprisingly not claustrophobic.

Le Petit Paris’ website offers reservations, but there were plenty of tables open downstairs. The second floor is only open for dinner. The brunch selection ranges from the usual suspects — organic eggs and French toast — to full dinner entrees such as salmon, burgers and steak. Mimosas, various hot beverages and freshly squeezed juices are also available.

The sweet smell of the French toast reached the table before the plate did. Two pieces of French toast were adorned with fresh berries and powdered sugar and served with a sweet, whipped butter and syrup. The toast was soft and surprisingly not dry. Though the cultural authenticity of French toast is up for debate, the tastiness of Le Petit Paris’s version is not.

For a lighter, though still equally filling meal, the assorted fresh fruit platter is a great option. The dish looks small but it is deeply filled with cut fruit. There are also freshly squeezed green juice options with avocado, spinach and pineapple. However, with chocolate crepes on the menu, fruit might not be the most attractive option.

The salmon steak was the final dish and the only one that was more fitting for lunch than breakfast. Despite the menu not stating anything other than what the plate would have, there was an assumption that the meal would have, well, more. The salmon was paired with a small sprinkling of vegetables and a delectable white lemon sauce that deserves its own standing ovation. The fish was cooked to perfection; however, the portion size was very small. It was easily finished in four bites. Perhaps that would not have been the case if the salmon were average. It was amazing but gone far too soon.

It’s no secret that the Americans are obsessed with the French, and Le Petit Paris plays with that fact. The restaurant’s beauty is in the details, from the history to the decor to the menu options. The food isn’t overpriced and is well worth it for the taste. The staff was very pleasant and attentive without being pushy despite the lack of patrons dining in the restaurant. Le Petit Paris, located in a nice little corner of Downtown, embodies everything people admire about the French.