Jennifer Lawrence’s Lenny essay has issues

In high school, and much of my first year of college, I shied away from any belief or position that remotely referenced that dreaded f-word: feminism. I felt it was too intense, too polarizing. I had a very skewed vision of what it actually meant (read: equality for all) and also thought that just because I shaved my legs and wanted a guy to pick up the check once in a while, it meant that I definitely wasn’t a feminist. Of course, my views have changed radically since I finally caught up with reality — and a couple of undergraduate courses got a hold of me — and I realized what an important word it truly is. Still, I felt unversed — and still do — in many aspects of gender studies, activism and equality. And so, as a way to educate myself, I took up the task of writing this column.

All this leads to the discussion of Jennifer Lawrence’s recent essay published in Lena Dunham’s newly released women-heralding Lenny newsletter. In the article, Lawrence makes claims about herself as a woman and attempts to challenge the gender wage gap between her and her male counterparts. This topic was first introduced during the Sony hack late last year, where it was revealed that Lawrence made 2 percent less than her male co-stars in David O. Russell’s American Hustle. The disparity might initially sound like very little but actually isn’t when the money we’re talking about is in within the seven-figure mark. Initially, Lawrence remained mum on the issue — as she has in the past about many issues regarding inequality and women in Hollywood. That is, until Lenny.

Her article, “Why Do I Make Less Than My Male Co-Stars?” became a headliner in only the third issue of Lenny ever published, but unfortunately read very informal in tone. She mentions writing on her couch and being too lazy to find a calculator in the other room. She swears with abandon and claims that she was initially excited about writing for Dunham because of the possibilities of what she “could complain about.” She then goes on to mention the infamous Sony hack and states that while she initially dismissed the trouble it caused her, she eventually realized it was an important topic to discuss. Thus, her article was born.

She goes on to state that part of her closed the deal for American Hustle in order to be well-liked and to not come off as “difficult.” She later references a recent event in which she stated an opinion to a male colleague who responded as if she was yelling at him. After all this, she states that she’s through with caring whether she will be gauged a “brat” by her male co-workers.

However, throughout the article, she also said that maybe her fear of being perceived as “difficult” or “spoiled” had nothing to do with her gender and perhaps was “a young-person thing” or a “personality thing.”

Though I’m thankful that Lawrence has finally entered into the conversation, I wish she had taken a stronger stance on her position. As a woman who will soon be making $20 million for her role in an upcoming science fiction romance, Lawrence makes it clear that earning equal pay is attainable. With that type of influence and position, she could do far more than simply adding to a dialogue. She could truly help the greater female population make leaps and bounds over the systematic hurdles we are endlessly faced with in the industry every day.

I almost wonder if her lack of any true conclusion has less to do with her fear of being incorrect, and more to do with her media-bolstered espousal of the characterization of the “cool girl.” Though she states she is “over trying to find the ‘adorable’ way to state my opinion and still be likable” she still manages to do so by going back on the very words she’s postulating and finally clarifying that everything she’s saying may have nothing to do with being a woman, and may be hard to appreciate because her story is “unrelatable.” She also stated that she hopes to “fingers crossed, not piss anyone off.” It’s clear that Jennifer Lawrence believes she can’t be an outspoken feminist because that would make her appear difficult and not so cool. She might lose some of her cinematic luster, and fans will potentially reject her.

I know this statement may inspire many of you to picket with words like “Leave J-Law alone!” in some sort of solidarity with her “effortlessness” and “charm.” But I’m only saying this coming from a girl who used to shy entirely away from the word “feminism” but now holds herself partially responsible for propagating it (at least in this small circle). I would’ve preferred a little more of a rigid position — something that could tell me Lawrence truly believes in what she’s saying and wants to make sure that everyone hears. Not just because Lena Dunham asked her to write a couple dozen words down for an email.

Minnie Schedeen is a junior majoring in cinematic arts and critical studies. Her column, “Film Fatale,” runs every Tuesday.

1. Robert Gold
    Robert Gold says:

What I am learning late in life is the importance of small steps, making small moves. I think that gifts should be appreciated, and pulling back is a smart thing to do, when ground is taken. Every man and woman must play the same game. This “man’s world” would fall to pieces without women, and bright men know this. In twenty years, women will be the majority of CEOs … At only twenty-five, Jennifer joins the likes of Taylor Swift as a powerful business person, as well as a talented artist.