Combat your hangry self with these low-calorie midnight snacks

Photo courtesy of Melissa, Flickr

Photo courtesy of Melissa, Flickr

It’s important to munch on snacks during late night study sessions, because your body needs the fuel to keep it going. Yet, it is easy to pick up all the unhealthy things when you are stress eating. Here are five low-calorie snacks that you shouldn’t feel guilty about eating.

1.     Apple slices and nut butter. Slice a juicy apple into wedges and then coat them with your favorite nut butter, it could be peanut, almond or even cashew butter! Since this snack is rich in protein and fiber, it will keep you full for longer.
  2.     Frozen yogurt-coated blueberries. This one is my favorite! To make this, just dip the blueberries in Greek yogurt, place them on a tray and freeze them for an hour. Pull them out of the freezer whenever you are in the mood for snacking and enjoy these sweet bites whenever you are craving something sweet.
  3.     Baby carrots and hummus. Nothing gets healthier than raw vegetables. Pair that with hummus and you have a yummy treat to munch on that will actually make your brain sharper. To add variation to your snack, add celery sticks or broccoli to your platter and dip away!
  4.     Salsa and chips. Make your own salsa by chopping tomatoes, onions, fresh cilantro and mixing it up. Squeeze half a lemon on top and enjoy this fresh dip with some salted whole grain tortilla chips. This is easy to make if you have a chopping board and knife. But if you don’t, you can always buy some pre-made salsa.
  5.     Cucumber hummus toast. A satisfying combination of creamy and crunchy, this snack is healthy and delicious all at the same time. It is more filling than the other snacks but that’s what you need some nights. To make this, all you have to do is spread hummus on multi-grain or whole wheat bread, whichever you prefer, and add sliced cucumbers on top. Sprinkle a little salt and you’re good to go!