LAPD officer-involved shooting occurs near University Park Campus

The southern end of Magnolia Street was sealed off to the public Tuesday night after an officer-involved shooting took place south of Adams Boulevard at approximately 4:45 p.m. near University Park Campus.

According to Los Angeles Police Department Detective Meghan Aguilar, an altercation occurred after a traffic stop involving two LAPD officers in which a man in his thirties exited his vehicle with a knife and reportedly attempted to stab the officers on the scene. The officers responded with gunfire and shot the suspect, who remains in critical condition. The suspect and the officers, both of whom sustained non-life threatening injuries, were transported from the scene.

The preliminary investigation concluded that “there is no indication whatsoever” that any USC students were involved in the altercation.

Jonathan Miller, a senior majoring in human biology who heard the shooting from his home on the intersection of Magnolia and 27th Streets, said the first indication that something had occurred was a faint screeching sound, followed by sirens and the appearance of several ambulances and fire trucks.

“There was a lot of running, a lot of rushing by the police,” Miller said. “It was very, very fast.”

The LAPD’s Force Investigation Division, which handles all cases of officer-involved shootings, is currently investigating the incident.