Pop culture trends can inspire costumes

Halloween is just around the corner. Whether people are partying it up on the Row or in Berkeley for the weekender, most people are used to throwing together a last-minute costume. For those stumped on what to be, Power Rangers or the Cheetah Girls are so last year. Instead, take a cue from some of the most popular television shows and phenomenons of this year. Or, round up some friends for a collective costume concept.

Member of the Kappa Kappa Tau sorority or Dickie Dollar Scholar fraternity

Ryan Murphy’s new hit television series, Scream Queens, premiered a month ago to rave reviews from television critics. The wardrobe for the members of the fictional Kappa Kappa Tau sorority is, without a doubt, fabulous, unique and funky. For those who want to look like Chanel No. 3, bust out those rhinestones and bedazzle a pair of earmuffs, an accessory that Lourd’s mother, actress Carrie Fisher, inspired with her Star Wars character’s classic hairstyle. For a minimal makeup look, channel Hester (Lea Michele) and wear a ’90s jumpsuit and neck brace. Guys can reveal their Scream Queens guilty pleasure as well. Golf gloves, knit caps and trousers will transform one into a member of the Dickie Dollar Scholars fraternity.

The Four Seasons

Though Los Angeles doesn’t see the changing seasons, most identify with at least one part of the year. Whether it’s winter, spring, summer or fall, there are many ways to create a costume. Round up three of your friends and figure out which season each member in the group wants to be. For winter, try wearing dark blues, purple or black. Don’t be afraid to break out an ugly Christmas sweater a couple of months early. The spring color palette would most likely be pinks and light blues, greens and yellows. For summer, bust out the shorts, swimsuits or swim trunks, or make it all-American to fit the Fourth of July theme. The fall person should try and stick to reds, oranges and yellows, reminiscent of a pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks.

Rock, Paper and Scissors

Take the favorite childhood game to the next level. Buy some cardboard and colored markers to create giant cutouts of these shapes. Another costume perfect for the group setting, this is a great do-it-yourself activity to make with friends a couple of nights before Halloween.

Stages Of – (Insert your favorite celebrity here)

As people age, they go through different style and personality changes — and there is no better representation than those of celebrities. Miley Cyrus started out as cute and fun portraying Hannah Montana on Disney Channel. Fast forward 10 years, and she’s twerking it out on the VMA stage, complete with a foam finger and two tiny, now iconic buns atop her head as part of her outfit. Robert Downey Jr. went from being the ultimate Hollywood bad boy in and out of jail in the ’90s to a very classy man with some stylish glasses. Angelina Jolie broke out in the industry with the image of a dark, strange girl, and now is a proud humanitarian with six kids and a clean-cut image. Again, round up some friends. Each person can pick one celebrity stage — there’s a role for everyone.

Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” Squad

“Bad Blood” won a couple of things this year — Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs, millions of views on YouTube and the unofficial social media award for coolest squad of all time. A majority of Taylor Swift’s famous friends appeared in the video, each with an assigned character, role and storyline. Putting this together is easy: The group needs knee-high boots and head-to-toe black outfits. With fake weapons and a picture backdrop of a raging fire, it would be the perfect Instagram photo opportunity.