University web registration system crashes

The University Web Registration system will not be available to students until Monday, Nov. 2, according to an email sent by University Registrar Frank Chang early Wednesday morning. Both the new and old systems of enrollment will be offline, but Chang reported that the problem is not related to the new registration system, which was released on Oct. 21.

The problem mainly affects upperclassmen, who were previously scheduled for academic advisement appointments starting Sept. 28 and ending Nov. 3. Freshmen will be unaffected by the problem, continuing with their appointments on the previously scheduled dates of Nov. 6 through Nov. 17.

“I didn’t really care because it doesn’t affect me since,” said Shreya Anand, a freshman majoring in non-governmental organizations and social change. “I could see how [upperclassmen] would be mad or upset over it. Overall though, it’s not a big deal for [freshmen].”

Students will not be able to register or to alter their schedules for the spring 2016 semester. Appointments with advisors will be adjusted accordingly, and a schedule for appointment rescheduling was included in the email sent out by Chang early Wednesday morning. The time that the appointment was previously scheduled at will remain the same; the only thing that will change in the rescheduling will be the date.

“I’m surprised that something like this would happen at a University that is this large and this well-funded,” said Hannah Rule, a junior majoring in film and television production. “It seems unusual, but I’m not worried about it in the long run.”