Technology needs bigger place in schools

Technology has expanded accessibility of vital information to the average person at the touch of a fingerprint. But in doing so, it has also created the digital divide — the socioeconomic gap between those with access to electronics and those without it. Though the use of technology in schools could level the playing field in education, only those with access to said technology end up sufficiently prepared to attend secondary education. Increasing access by creating media lab environments in schools will allow school districts to provide equal opportunities that 21st century technology can facilitate.

The current standard of education in the United States is rapidly declining. Students experience a disconnect between the real world and their schooling, while also being subjected to higher numbers of mental illness than ever before in classroom environments. Under the dated public school model the nation has been using for the last century or so, students in our country are greatly underperforming in comparison to the rest of the world, ranking 23rd in math, 17th in reading and 32nd in science. The current classroom model was ideal when it was first created, but it has not updated itself to the 21st century. Gone are the days when high school education was enough to be hired in a professional setting, and with that change comes the need for a shift in the public school system.

Many teachers believe that technology is the key to this problem, and, in some ways, it could be. However, within the traditional classroom setting it can only further complicate matters. Students with access to better schools will naturally be better equipped with technology that will effectively supplement their classroom instruction, whereas students in schools with less accessibility will not be able to access electronics of the same caliber. But the main problem, even in higher-ranked schools, is that teachers sometimes lack the training to best use iPads and laptops to their best advantage. This drawback in our educational system does not promise a better future for students hoping to go onto higher education: if students are not proficient with technology at a young age, the problem will only follow them later on in their schooling.

A popular solution to this debacle is the idea of a “flipped” classroom, where students learn on their own at home and then do homework and in-class activities to understand the concept further the next day. Proponents state that by making teachers serve as guides rather than instructors, students can comprehend the material better. This does seem like a more pragmatic approach, especially given the disconnect between the 21st century workplace and the traditional classroom setting. Yet, flipped classrooms could also add to the divide if students do not have access to new material at home because it requires a laptop or computer. Given that only 18 percent of teachers report that their students have adequate Internet access at home, compared to 54 percent at school, this would hinder learning.

Even though technology’s widespread reach is something we hugely benefit from, the price tags attached to many electronic devices often serve as major drawbacks in terms of affordability. High-quality computers may not be affordable for either school districts or families in low-income neighborhoods. Students in low-income neighborhoods are more likely to be entirely smartphone-dependent at home, making it impractical to write essays or lengthy responses for class. Moreover, with 20 percent of low-income students stating they seldom use computers or laptops for homework purposes — and 10 percent only have dial-up access — it is easy to understand how a lack of technology could lead to a greater disparity in education.

According to a report by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, equal access to technology does not necessarily lead to an improvement in performance if students cannot use the technology. Future college students will start feeling the struggle particularly in high school, especially due to the fast pace of the 21st century.

There are, in fact, practical fixes to this problem. One such solution is the addition of media labs  — with proper instructor training — in low-income districts. While these students may not have access to computers at home, there is no reason why the schools cannot provide this resource to them. It is in the institution’s best interest to keep students’ performance as high as possible. So, by creating media labs where students have access to high-speed computers and classroom material, students can complete homework, write essays and watch tutorials that they may not have access to at home. With the development of quality media labs, districts are both reforming their educational standards and boosting performance in the students themselves, thus mitigating the digital divide.