Monthly downtown Los Angeles Art Walk creates connections

It’s impossible to deny that the revitalization of downtown Los Angeles is partly due to its vast art scene. With vibrant murals scaling historic buildings and galleries on almost every street, Downtown is now a cultural hub. Additionally, the presence of the Museum of Contemporary Art and the recent opening of the Broad Museum further emphasize the role art plays in the neighborhood. The Downtown Art Walk, which takes place every second Thursday each month, celebrates this fact.

More than 30 galleries participated in the Art Walk on Nov. 12. During this time, visitors traveled throughout the various locations, including The Hive Gallery & Studios, located on Spring Street. Nathan Cartwright, owner and curator of The Hive, opened the gallery in 2005, when there were only a handful of other art spaces open in Downtown. Since the opening of The Hive collided with the beginning of the Art Walk, Cartwright has seen the correlation between the development of Downtown and the art that supports the city center.

“People want to feel a sense of adventure, and that sense of adventure generally comes from culture,” Cartwright said. “For young people and old people alike, restaurants, movies, books and so on are only a small part of the equation. Art is something that is in your face, so it’s been a crucial factor in people getting down here.”

According to Cartwright, the galleries downtown present a crossroads for people of all socioeconomic backgrounds. Art allows different people to share a common experience.

“You don’t have to have the internet to walk into a gallery,” Cartwright said. “What’s happening to a lot of art is people going to Instagram and stuff like that. But to actually have a real, cathartic experience, to actually see the texture and see the materials, you have to go to a gallery.”

On display at The Hive was the Master Blasters of Sculpture exhibition, which premiered on Nov. 8. Additionally, along with the works from 20 featured artists, The Hive showcased a ukiyo-e project in one of their studio spaces. The ukiyo-e genre, a type of traditional Japanese printing, was modernized through the use of imagery from the band KISS.

Other thriving places included the Ren Gallery, which had a reception in anticipation of its grand opening. A tribute to pop artist Richard Duardo was the central focus of its display, though pieces by local contemporary and street artists such as Nicholas Knudson, Jaime Colindres and Des Grisham could also be found. Fold Gallery also highlighted Los Angeles artists in their collection, including pieces by Patrick Haemmerlein, Walt Hall and Jon Measures.

Though art was the focal point of the night, other components added to the experience. Dozens of food trucks parked on 3rd Street, creating the perfect resting place for patrons. The space was accompanied by live music, and hungry people flocked to Belly BombZ, Kabob Kings and Surfer Tacos. The Last Bookstore also made for a notable stop. With extended hours, the shop presented its own art on the second floor while Presence, a musical quintet, played downstairs.

Undoubtedly, the Downtown Art Walk is an integral part of the growing city. An event easily accessible to USC students, this monthly tradition allows people to feel connected to one another.