SoulCycle: never stop pedaling

Few workouts have SoulCycle’s reputation — high intensity, high impact and a legion of followers whose passion for the workout rivals that of a cult.

Walking into my first class, I was intimidated to say the least. The company’s Santa Monica location was absolutely gorgeous. Crisp, clean lines framed the storefront and lobby, which doubled as a retail store selling nothing but SoulCycle-branded clothing and accessories. The back of the studio past the front desk hosted a beautiful locker room as well as changing areas, state-of-the-art restrooms and showers for both women and men, complete with more shower supplies and grooming products than I have at my own house. The message was clear: SoulCycle is a one-stop shop.

As I introduced myself to the staffers at the front desk, I took a peek at the studio layout, spotting my assigned bike, 29, in the second row, smack-dab in front of the instructor. SoulCycle allows its clients to select their bike numbers before each class, so I wasn’t sure if my position would end up helping or hurting me. Though I consider myself to be in relatively good shape, I usually list two weaknesses to my athletic prowess — flexibility and stamina. Most fitness classes I’ve taken seem to challenge the former, but I knew SoulCycle would definitely test the latter. A full-body workout on a bike, SoulCycle boasts of an ability to combine a high-intensity cardio workout with core-engaging choreography.

As I grabbed my biking shoes from the front desk, I was consumed by mixed emotions. I was excited by the fact that the exchange felt like renting bowling shoes, until I turned them over to reveal these shoes were no ordinary shoes — they were clipless cycling shoes, meaning I would be attached to the bike for the duration of the workout. There was no escape. After quickly changing into my biking gear in the locker room, the tap-like clacking of my clipless shoes walking back to the lobby both felt and sounded like walking the plank.

The five minutes waiting for the studio felt like an eternity. One look around the lobby and it was obvious where the SoulCycle cult reputation comes from — in the short amount of time I spent in the locker room, the building had swarmed with clients waiting for the next class, and each of them was dressed in what looked like head to toe SoulCycle apparel. After doing my best to hide both my nerves and my lack of SoulCycle gear, the rest of the class and I finally made our way inside the studio. SoulCycle bikes are nothing like road bikes, and I used to consider myself a casual biker. I use the word “casual” loosely, as I have trouble following my boyfriend up hills. My recreational experience clearly did not translate. The others quickly adjusted their bikes and clipped in while I simply stood there perplexed, not knowing what to adjust or how to go about doing it. Despite my best efforts to hide my inexperience, I stood out like a sore thumb. Luckily, the SoulCycler next to me was kind enough to offer his expertise and assistance. I must admit, however, that one helper was not enough to actually get me on the bike — a staffer from the front desk came over to physically attach me to my bike.

As I moved on from my initial embarrassment and ineptitude, the class’ instructor, Chris, took the stage to introduce himself and start the class. He explained to us newbies the basics of what was about to happen: He would take us through several different speeds, and the key to keeping up was staying with the rhythm and beat of the music. I like to boast about the sense of rhythm I acquired during my two years of drum lessons when I was 14. The truth, however, is that this rhythm comes and goes. If I’m on beat, I’m on beat; if I’m not, I’m just not. As I quickly found out, this class was no different.

SoulCycle instructors are not just spin instructors. They’re also part motivational speaker and part DJ and, as I quickly discovered, Chris has an affinity for EDM music and inspirational quotes that sound like they came from Jaden Smith’s Twitter feed. As perplexing as these phrases were, I found them oddly motivating as I struggled to keep up with the class of SoulCycle regulars. We moved from slow beats to fast ones, and from less resistance to more. Each song brought with it a new beat to adapt to, and just when I got comfortable, Chris would hit the lights and play disk jockey again, disrupting the candle-lit studio and my barely obtained rhythm.

I worked harder in that 45-minute class than I’ve ever worked in my entire life. As Chris preached in the beginning of class, he had one rule — never stop pedaling — and I really did take it to heart. Though there was no way my unconditioned body could make it through the weight section, I pushed and pushed to keep pedaling the whole way through. By the end of class, I was exhausted and completely soaked in sweat; the complimentary towels SoulCycle provided felt like a life saver. The class was anything but easy and definitely pushed my body to its limits, but powering through gave me a sense of accomplishment like no other.

First-time ride classes are $20, and single classes after that are $30. Class packages in five, 10, 20 and 30 are offered and run for $145, $280, $540 and $780, respectively. SoulCycle recommends that clients take classes three to four times per week to maintain progress. The studio has several locations around Los Angeles, including Santa Monica, West Hollywood, Brentwood, Hollywood and Pasadena, with a Culver City location opening January 2016 and a Downtown location opening on 9th and Olive soon after.

Jennifer Drysdale is a senior majoring in communication. Her column, “Gym Class Hero,” runs every other Wednesday.