Little Sister serves a twist on Vietnamese cuisine

Little Sister offers flavorful Asian dishes that are not afraid to pack a spicy punch. Established during an explosion of new restaurants on 7th Street and Grand Avenue in Downtown, Little Sister has a cozy and inviting atmosphere that draws onlookers into a unique culinary journey. A mix of modern and rustic decor reflects the unusual array of dishes on the menu, with selections reminiscent of traditional Vietnamese cuisine presented in variations that are far from lackluster.

The “bo la lot” betel leaf wrapped grilled beef with scallion oil and peanuts was a fantastic way to start the meal. Every meaty, well-seasoned bite of the tender beef was punctured with a light sweet and sour sauce that did not overpower the star of the dish. The sauce gives the wraps a delightfully refreshing quality with a hint of spiciness at the end. The cilantro and peanuts provide traditional Vietnamese flavors that add another dimension to this simple yet satisfying appetizer.

The snapper filet with hot curry and dill really brought on the heat, so to those who err to mild tastes, proceed with caution. Flaky chunks of white fish encased in a lightly fried coating are drenched in a sea of chili oil and a medley of ginger, cilantro, green beans, bok choy pieces and peanuts. This dish offers some serious flavors that might call for a side of jasmine rice to temper.

The red and black rice served with a seafood fiesta turned out to be the star of the meal. When served, the rice sizzles in a hot stone pot and is served with lime wedges and a dish of sauces including a creamy lime leaf aioli, some of the aforementioned sweet and sour spicy sauce and a sweet chutney. The seafood dish also features sweet plump mussels still in the shell; fresh, juicy shrimp; and baby octopus and scallop soaked in the juices. Bits of Chinese sausage salute the origin of the cuisine while tender morsels of confit pork also and crunchy okra pieces give the dish some much needed color. And, of course, there is the obligatory smattering of peanuts and sprigs of fresh cilantro. The red and black rice is chewier than regular rice but manages to contain all the flavors without turning mushy. The dish isn’t too salty and even showcases a hint of sweetness. Coupled with the meatiness of the seafood and the pork, this dish is the perfect comfort food that is the Asian equivalent of a hearty stew.

Dessert for two comes in the form of a dulce de leche torte with chocolate hazelnut gelato and a hazelnut torte with dark chocolate ganache, as well as a surprise addition of a lemon tart meant for other patrons. The dulce de leche torte has just the right amount of sweetness, with a delightful fluffiness that sits well on top of a hearty meal. However, the chocolate hazelnut gelato cannot be ignored — smooth, rich chocolate with a hint of hazelnut, it perfectly complements the torte. The hazelnut torte is dense, with a rich, nutty flavor and a crunchy, buttery cookie base. Pieces of chocolate ganache crowning the slice add to the smoothness of each bite, without overwhelming the hazelnut flavor. The lemon tart, however, drastically departs from the rich depth of the other two selections, offering instead light, airy bites bursting with tart, refreshing lemony goodness. The berry jam spooned on top takes the edge off the tang and readies you for the next bite and the next bite.

Little Sister is an excellent place for any social function, whether for a casual meal or a formal gathering, though it can be a bit pricey. Located in the heart of up-and-coming downtown Los Angeles, it’s certainly a place for students to check out.