Four fantastic music apps you need to tune in on

Photo courtesy of Aidan, Flickr

Photo courtesy of Aidan, Flickr

If you want to experience music in a new way, you should look to the App Store for some inspiration. These apps, which either allow you to create or consume music, can expand your horizons and connect you with your favorite tunes in ways you never thought of before.

1. Cove (Free) – Humane Engineering Ltd.

This is an app for adolescents (aren’t we all?) who wish to express themselves without having to use words. It was originally designed for those who have experienced loss, but it has come to apply to just about everyone. With six different moods to choose from and countless possible variations, you can create your own personal music journal that will accurately capture how you are feeling in a way that’s beyond words.

1. iMashine 2 ($4.99) – Native Instruments GmbH

There are many music-making applications, but none are as encompassing as iMashine 2. It essentially allows you to create computer-generated tracks. At your disposal are 16 beat pads, a Smart Play keyboard (this makes sure that you are in key) and vocal recording and sampling capabilities. If you have an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus, you can manipulate beats through the iPhone pressure sensor. But if you don’t, you can still use the original iMashine, which has most of the other capabilities. You’ll be rapping to your beat in no time.

1. Yousician (Free) – Yousician Ltd.

Yousician – rather than creating music — helps you learn an instrument. The app listens to you play through the phone microphone and gives you feedback — like Rock Band, but more intensive, so if you want to learn either piano or guitar, or don’t have time or money for a teacher, Yousician is a great alternative. It is free, but if you want unlimited time then you have to upgrade to premium, which is $19.99 per month.

1. Crossfader (Free) – DJZ

Crossfader allows you to be your own DJ, and broadcast your music live across the world or at home alone. You don’t need to press anything though — the app responds to motions through the built-in gyroscope. There are three movements that the app recognizes — tilt, twist and swipe. For instance, to drop the bass, you tilt your phone. It’s user-friendly. The layout is similar to Instagram — you can create content in the middle of the bottom bar, see your notifications and follow other DJ’s.