Reflecting on time in Melbourne

Jet lagged and unable to lift my head from exhaustion, I asked the barista for a coffee. He looked perplexed and kindly asked how I would like the coffee prepared. I learned from then on that in Australia, the word “coffee” is virtually meaningless without futher instructions, such as flat white, black tea latte, etc. This is a custom extremely different from back home in the United States.

Even the most common activities — ordering daily coffee, going to the market — are unfamiliar. Everything is alien and uncrossed — ultimate sink-or- swim territory.

Trusting oneself across continents, especially while alone, can be daunting. Despite how concrete I felt in my decision to study abroad, I would be lying if I said I didn’t have doubts. Fear of discomfort is probably the most prominent among them, as well as the perpetual fear of being lonely. However, these fears were ephemeral, unable to change my desire to spend the semester abroad.

Before I even began attending USC, I knew I wanted to study abroad. I always had profound wanderlust. Planes, trains and automobiles excite me, as I see them as doorways to new experiences. To say I am addicted to traveling is an understatement. My parents attribute this desire to my inability to sit still.

My favorite part of traveling is probably listening to new languages. Before my semester in Melbourne, I wavered greatly in deciding if I was willing to give up the experience of learning a new language. Luckily, the exchange provided several benefits. Little did I know, Melbourne is the epicenter of converging cultures in Australia. In almost every way, the city is international. With each turn, my ears caught on to conversations in five different languages.

That sacrifice, though, was just one of the many made for studying abroad. For one, I feel the pain of missing football season. I’ve struggled with homesickness for the first time. Mostly, I’ve missed the comfort afforded by being around things that are familiar.

A semester abroad also comes with missing a semester of activity on campus. I had to give up active roles in organizations and postpone pursuing leadership positions, all of which are critical elements in applying for future degrees and jobs.

There is an unfortunate generalization about studying abroad: A semester abroad is one of an easy workload and lots of partying. When I did decide to apply, advisers urged me to take the semester abroad seriously. I took that advice to heart in choosing the classes I would take in order to fully appreciate studying at an Australian university. I took that on in opportunities to push myself out of my comfort zone.

During my time here, I have, as cliché as it sounds, formed lasting friendships and memories, some of which will transcend our geographical distance. I feel that my life has been enhanced by them and is almost unimaginable without them. And there is no denying that others feel the same way.

Before coming to Melbourne, I prided myself on my understanding of coffee, gravitating toward specific flavors and avoiding those that have burnt beans. Unable to simply ask for a coffee when first arriving embarrassed me, as suddenly something I was so certain about became lost. I won’t lie and say studying abroad is easy,  because it highlights how even the most basic activity, like having a coffee, can be difficult.

When I first ordered a coffee properly, I sent a picture of my successful order, reveling in my advancement as a coffee connoisseur. The embarrassment evaporated as I became more comfortable asking questions and learning from others. I think of coffee, as weird as it sounds, to highlight discomfort. Conquering the daily activities, though, shows that it’s possible to adjust. Each time I left Melbourne to travel, the return felt just like I was coming home.

While taking a road trip across the east coast of Australia in a rather ridiculous hippie van, I read an oxymoron that confused me at first: “Traveling leaves you speechless, turns you into a storyteller.” In a way I feel that dichotomy almost completely describes my experience abroad. So many moments have moved me, shook me to my core, left me unable to find words to describe just how I have felt about it. Simultaneously though, these experiences made me a narrator, as I continually find myself sharing my stories.

Nika Shahery is a junior majoring in international relations and policy, planning and development. Her column, “Aussie Adventure,” ran Thursdays.