White students don’t need their own student unions

Hannah Luk | Daily Trojan

Hannah Luk | Daily Trojan

A group of students at the University of California, Berkeley created a White Student Union Facebook page Nov. 21, initially promoted to serve as a “safe space” for white students to voice their opinions and stories regarding “the challenges that European-American students on college campuses face,” according to the page. The page has since been deleted due to overwhelming backlash.

With recent conversations surrounding race on college campuses — such as the football strike sparked by racial tension at University of Missouri, as well as similar issues that gained media attention at Yale University and Claremont McKenna College — students of all racial backgrounds seem to have an opinion as to what constitutes racism. And though it is people of color who have endured the harshest discrimination in this country, it seems that white Americans can’t handle the criticism they’ve faced within the last few years.

The UC Berkeley White Student Union was not a sanctioned group that obtained university approval; in fact, university officials condemned the creation of this group. The university issued a statement written by UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion Na’ilah Suad Nassir, which stated, “While UC Berkeley honors First Amendment rights, we do not endorse this attempt to create conflict and make light of the efforts of activists, locally and nationally, who have worked hard to hold us all accountable for providing a campus climate where every student is safe, welcomed and respected.”

Though it is surprising that this group emerges from one of the most liberal college campuses in America, the UC Berkeley White Student Union isn’t the only white student group that has been established on a college campus; White Student Unions were also created at Stanford University, Penn State, UCLA and University of Missouri, among others across the country. However, most of these pages have since been erased. And while the UC Berkeley White Student Union was still active, the group stated on its Facebook page that any language deemed derogatory, prejudiced or racially insensitive would be automatically deleted. However, regardless of the creators’ intentions to ensure that discussions would remain diplomatic, the entire principle of creating a White Student Union is racist in itself.

There is a strange contradiction that accompanies the ideologies of white privilege; white Americans who don’t believe white privilege exists think so because they’ve never had to face the struggles of Americans of color. In general, white Americans do not have to think about how their race affects their social, political and economic status because most Western societies have deemed Caucasians to be the preferred race. For centuries, this country has been led by white politicians, so it is confusing how white Americans can experience racial injustice.

There is a difference between racism and prejudice. Though the two often go together, white privilege disables the implication of racism among white Americans. America was built on the principles of colonialism and racism from white Europeans; prior to the establishment of slavery in the 17th century, it was indigenous Americans who faced the bloodshed of Anglo-Saxon immigrants in the 15th century. If one were to express negative generalizations toward all the European-American citizens, though these comments would be in bad taste, it would, fundamentally, not be racist — because the United States was built from a Eurocentric perspective, and because the United States is still predominantly run by white men. One technically cannot be racist against white Americans, for they still maintain power in the country.

It would, however, be incorrect and rather critical to assume that all white Americans hold racist beliefs. There are, of course, many white Americans who advocate for equality among all races and have joined the frontier to eliminate all racial prejudices. However, those who believe in the principles of true racial equality yet choose to stay silent in situations of discrimination or microaggressions are contributing to the problem. Silence does not always equal neutrality; in the case of racism in America, silence is, in fact, violently detrimental to progress.

If white Americans are tired of enduring the anger of Americans of color, they must first acknowledge their social, economic and political privilege and actively strive to achieve equality between all races by speaking up in situations of racial injustice. One cannot change history, but one can change where the future is headed. It is up to millennials to change the norms of racial perception and create justice for racial minorities in America.

1. Teddy Edwards
    Teddy Edwards says:

The question isn’t whether white students NEED a white student union. It is whether progressives will ever recognize that people have rights, and that rights need never be justified.

2. Adam Jackson
    Adam Jackson says:

Let me give you some perspective:
    There is a strange contradiction that accompanies the ideologies of Collegiate Social Justice Warriors; Collegiate Social Justice Warriors who believe white privilege exists think so because they’ve never lived their life from a white person’s.

Now, of course there are aspects of white privilege that need to be acknowledged but by your logic, you have no grounds to make that claim. Only white people do. Kinda funny, eh?

Look. To claim that any group or race is incapable of understanding the struggles inherent in and particular to members of another group or race is another interesting position. By this logic it is would be impossible for anyone to human beings to empathize with and evaluate the claims of their brothers and sisters across barriers of time, culture, and identity group. I implore you to explore this denial of the possibility of commonly understood literary, intellectual, and human experiences, at least if one does not share the gender, socioeconomic status, and race of a book’s author or of one’s interlocutor. Are you saying that only white people are able to fully understand and identify with Shakespeare’s stories?

rac·ism – prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race

What you are saying literally matches the dictionary definition of racism. Please check your minority privilege. You are making me all to aware of my lack of ability to participate in any discussion on race in America and it is #triggering. Please help us maintain the #safespace on our beautiful campus.

• Thekatman
      Thekatman says:

Adam. Time to grow up and be an adult. You do not live at home anymore, you live on a university campus that is not a day care center for emotionally sensitive kids. It is not the real world either, so you are somewhat coddled, but it’s time to cut the apron strings and be responsible for yourself and how YOU interact with society and how YOU educate yourself and move forward in life. Your use of white privilege or whatever you want to use as an excuse for you not being personally responsible for your life is just another indication that you are not ready for university life. Perhaps you should quit school, move back home and grow u, maybe take some classes at the local community college.

Your assumptions about me and my background are indicative that you are the racist, as you know nothing about me or my background.

• Teddy Edwards
      Teddy Edwards says:

You’re indoctrinated, Adam. I find that when this happens, engaging in dialogue is like teaching a rock to speak.

3. Seattle Truth
    Seattle Truth says:

You social justice nazis are tyrannical authoritarians on a destructive path to destroy America. Everyone is sick of you racist and sexist shit-stirrers. You openly justify your racism against whites by using some bullshit magical-unicorn definition of racism you made up where its somehow impossible to be racist against whites, because ‘those evil white people deserve it’.

You are the the racist. You should feel ashamed for how horrible of a person you are. In a few years, after you social justice nazis have been totally defeated and laughed out of existence, you will realize that you have become the monster you claim to fight. You are the racist, hateful bigot, not the common white man.

• jon
      jon says:

This is arguably the most unlettered thing that I have read on the internet. Well done, sir. Well done indeed.

4. Thekatman
    Thekatman says:

And by the way, since when did universities and colleges become day care for teens and adults. The “safe space” issue is a joke.

• Teddy Edwards
      Teddy Edwards says:

Well, that is certainly true. It’s the progressives’ version of ugly “separate but equal”.

5. Thekatman
    Thekatman says:

You kids are emotionally messed up by perpetuating all this racially motivated deceitful pressure on everyone to think the way you want them to think. Thought control, being politically correct, and use of 1st Amendment rights by allowing one group to express themselves and others to not, is completely contrary to our values as Americans, and is jnconstutional. You have set b a c the advances of racial discourse 50 years and MLK would be not a proponent of your efforts to wreak havoc in the lives of peaceful folks.

Why aren’t you writing about the illegal it is of the exercise of presidential power by the POTUS? Or the mismanagement of water by your political representatives in Sacto, for they are the cause of the water shortage by allowing 100s of billions of gallons of fresh water to flow into the Pacific Ocean? Or Benghazi, Fast and Furious gun running, IRS being used as a attack dog by the President? That was one of the issues that was used to impeach President Nixon? How about writing about how the Black Lives Matter movement is all about creating racial tensions in America with the goal to incite rioting? Do you know who funds that organization? Or the New Black Panther Party? Do some research. You’ll find all sorts of anti American interests funding and organizing these groups, as proxies, for their plans to destroy the American way of life.

Young people today will not be living in a free society tomorrow if you let this behavior continue.

Merry Christmas too.

• DT
      DT says:

Please tell us more. It is fascinating to read your posts. I find them quite interesting and the more you post, the easier it is to differentiate your views from the rest of the USC community.

6. artemis133
    artemis133 says:

Racism is racism, no matter which direction it comes from. If there are Black Student Unions, Asian Student Unions, etc., then there should be no problem with White Student Unions.

As a working-class white woman, I never experienced the so-called “white privilege’ that is being spoken about. Whatever I’ve accomplished in life was due to my own effort.

The only way we’re going to significantly reduce racism is to stop making it the centerpiece of our lives. Everyone is different; we’re all individuals, and skin color is part of that. As MLK said-it’s time to “judge people not by their skin color, but the content of their character”. That goes for all races.

• jon
      jon says:

This isn’t true. You DO have privilege as a white woman. You’d have more if you were male and came from a well-off background (like I do), but you do have privilege nonetheless. The “black” you would have had a harder road to walk. Only an idiot wouldn’t be able to see this.