Woodrow Wilson racist charges ignore his legacy

In the wake of recent demands from a Princeton student group, the Black Justice League, to rename the Woodrow Wilson residential college and the Woodrow Wilson School of Public Policy and International Affairs, some Princeton students have demanded protections for free speech. In their petition, the Black Justice League has demanded that Princeton’s administration “publicly acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson,” institute “cultural competency training for all staff and faculty,” require “classes on the history of marginalized peoples” and put in place “a cultural space on campus dedicated specifically to Black students.” In response, a petition on Change.org, started by “Concerned Princetonians,” claims that these and other demands made by the Princeton Black Justice League represent “historical revisionism” and an imposition of the “Black Justice League’s unilateral narrative upon all graduates through the conduit of the core curriculum.” Though it is true that the commemoration of individuals places their values on a pedestal, progressive leaders from the past should be respected. Woodrow Wilson advanced progressive causes, and should be remembered and revered for doing so.

The Princeton Black Justice League attests that the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson is harmful to Princeton students, and that “the way we lionize legacies set [sic] precedents.” Though paying respect to a legacy confers attention and infers acceptance of that legacy, Woodrow Wilson’s legacy is far more beneficial than harmful when viewed in its totality. But the Black Justice League overlooks Wilson’s tenure as the president of Princeton University, governor of New Jersey and president of the United States, as well as his commitment to international cooperation among all people. Moreover, it ignores Wilson’s progressive ideals. He ensured that black soldiers received the same pay as white soldiers. He also appointed Louis Brandeis, the first Supreme Court Justice of Jewish descent, who later went on to expand the rights to freedom of speech and privacy. He endorsed the ratification of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote. Finally, Wilson received the 1919 Nobel Peace Prize for sponsoring the League of Nations, the predecessor to the United Nations. Each one of these achievements is respectable, and the fact that one man managed to not only be elected Commander-in-Chief, but also championed all of these progressive policies, is  worthy of commemoration and respect.

However, the Princeton Black Justice League would like to deny Woodrow Wilson the commemoration he rightfully deserves. It does this because it alleges he was racist and inspired a racist legacy. It must be admitted that Wilson was a segregationist. However, his beliefs and policies were not oppositional to black interests if viewed through the lens of Wilson’s contemporaries. Indeed, he was well ahead of his time, intensely progressive and did much to establish and protect individual liberties and civil rights. Some may argue that he did not do enough, but considering that the legal doctrine of segregation would not be dismantled for another 34 years after he left office, it is not surprising that he supported segregation.

If the metric for demanding the end to a leader’s commemoration is a belief in segregation, then the Princeton Black Justice League must add another president to its list of objectionable men: Abraham Lincoln. Contrary to popular belief, Abraham Lincoln did not believe in the equality of white and black people. Indeed, according to some historians, during his time as president, he preferred that freed slaves be sent to Africa rather than stay in the United States and become citizens. Under the Black Justice League’s logic, buildings named in honor of Abraham Lincoln, must be renamed in order to reflect racial sensitivity, too.

The Princeton Black Justice League does Woodrow Wilson a great disservice by overlooking his contributions to the United States and the world. If the Princeton Black Justice League wants to pursue a revision of core course curriculum and the establishment of a safe space for black students on campus, it is its right to do so. As students, they ought to have their voice heard on such issues. The members of the Black Justice League must, however, be aware of the precedent that they set when they make tarnishing the memory of a great man through contextually incorrect assertions their primary objective.

1. Teddy Edwards
    Teddy Edwards says:

What the editors appear not to know is that racism WAS one of Woodrow Wilson’s progressive contributions.

His progressive view, shared with Planned Parenthood’s Margaret Sanger, was that abortion would rid the world of an inferior race and certain pregnancies signaling an infant born with birth defects.

This view is part and parcel of the progressives’ dream of a utopian society, and as all utopias are won, done through coercion and brutal government force and losses of individual liberty.