Holiday Gift Guide

Graphic by Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

Graphic by Samantha Lee | Daily Trojan

We’re here to make gift-giving season a little bit easier this year. Daily Trojan bloggers have compiled a list of presents that all your friends, from the book worm to the foodie, will be sure to love. Click on the link below to jump to each section. Happy shopping!

For the book worm
Compiled by Megha Gupta 
For the coffee lover
Compiled by Jacqueline Mayuga
For the Harry Potter fan
Compiled by Paulina Ordaz
For the health nut
Compiled by Megha Gupta
For the foodie
Compiled by Brittany Fleck
For the “Friends” fan
Compiled by Paulina Ordaz
For the one with a sweet tooth
Compiled by Paulina Ordaz
For the tea lover
Compiled by Megha Gupta
For the traveler
Compiled by Jaycie Luo

For the book worm

The Giving Tree Macbook decal: $5 never looked so freakin’ adorable. $5 on Amazon.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.27.09 PM

Bookshelf clock: Because your hipster friends likely still appreciate analog clocks. $32 on Amazon.

Bookshelf clock: Because your hipster friends likely still appreciate analog clocks. $32 on Amazon

Book-shaped cake pan: You can bake your book and read (eat?) it, too. $22 on Amazon.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.27.28 PM

Read or sleep…or do both?: If you can’t sleep, read. If you can’t read, sleep. If you have commitment issues, get this pillow. $18 on Thinkgeek.com.

Read or sleep...or do both?: If you can’t sleep, read. If you can’t read, sleep. If you have commitment issues, get this pillow. $18 on Thinkgeek.com.

Sotriarts wearable literature scarves: While on the pricier end, these scarves are high quality and super fashionable. Bonus: they come in a lightweight summer scarf version (pictured above) that is perfect for your scarf-loving bookworm trapped in Southern California’s ever-present balmy 70+ degree weather. $45 on Amazon.

More wearable words: Yes, that is the motif of the Three Musketeers. Yes, that is every word in the book printed on a T-shirt. Yes, it speaks to your inner bookworm on a spiritual level. $34 on Litographs.com.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.27.50 PM

Back to Top

For the coffee lover

The Aeropress ($29.95)
Chances are, the coffee connoisseur of your life is either in a complicated relationship with their Ikea French press or being debilitated by the hands of their $10 Mr. Coffee bean-burner … I mean drip machine. Don’t let them suffer anymore! Introduce The Aeropress: The one-minute, single-serve coffee and (kind of) espresso maker. Though this lil’ gem sounds too good to be true, it’s the real deal. There’s about a 30-second learning curve and when your apartment mate gets their recipe down, you have my blessing to enter them into the World AeroPress Championship.

The Aeropress ($29.95) Chances are, the coffee connoisseur of your life is either in a complicated relationship with their Ikea French press or being debilitated by the hands of their $10 Mr. Coffee bean-burner … I mean drip machine. Don’t let them suffer anymore! Introduce The Aeropress: The one-minute, single-serve coffee and (kind of) espresso maker. Though this lil’ gem sounds too good to be true, it’s the real deal. There’s about a 30-second learning curve and when your apartment mate gets their recipe down, you have my blessing to enter them into the World AeroPress Championship.

Hario Coffee Mini Mill Grinder ($21) Cardinal Coffee Rule #1: Thou shalt not brew pre-ground coffee. Okay, so maybe I tend to break this rule more than I am proud to admit, but I totally wouldn’t if one of my friends got me this lovely thing for Christmas (ahem). I’m telling you, if you’ve never experienced the joy of freshly ground coffee, you’re missing out. The flavor notes are ten times more apparent and, to focus on the real issues here, it makes your kitchen smell delectable. Bless both you and your roommate with this glorified pencil-sharpener looking contraption, and you will both be gifted by the sweet, sweet smell of coffee. Trust.

Tasteful Coffee Prints ($20-35)
If your favorite espresso expert is anything like me, they’re probably a liiiiitle bit pretentious (in the most acceptable way). Basically, they curse the uprising of vector art and the current print market for their favorite beverage simply will not do. That’s with The Department of Brewology comes in. Run by former barista and current illustrator, Mr. David Salinas, The Department is home to some of the most aesthetic prints on the market, and no matter your friend’s preferred brewing method, you’ll be sure to find a print to fit their life.

Tasteful Coffee Prints ($20-35) If your favorite espresso expert is anything like me, they’re probably a liiiiitle bit pretentious (in the most acceptable way). Basically, they curse the uprising of vector art and the current print market for their favorite beverage simply will not do. That’s with The Department of Brewology comes in. Run by former barista and current illustrator, Mr. David Salinas, The Department is home to some of the most aesthetic prints on the market, and no matter your friend’s preferred brewing method, you’ll be sure to find a print to fit their life.

A Drinking Vessel (potentially free)
So maybe you can’t afford a $20 present this year. That’s chill! I promise you, your coffee companion doesn’t have enough things to drink coffee out of. Mugs? They need one. Personalized mugs? They need ten. Fancy-schmancy Zojirushi thermoses that keep hot drinks hot for up to hours? They need one in every color. Anything’s fair game.

A Drinking Vessel (potentially free) So maybe you can’t afford a $20 present this year. That’s chill! I promise you, your coffee companion doesn’t have enough things to drink coffee out of. Mugs? They need one. Personalized mugs? They need ten. Fancy-schmancy Zojirushi thermoses that keep hot drinks hot for up to hours? They need one in every color. Anything’s fair game.

Coffee! ($5-40) When in doubt, just get ‘em something you already know they love: Coffee! There are a TON of specialty roasters right here in L.A., and you’d have to try to not find something your brew buddy won’t love. From Stumptown to Urth Caffé, everyone’s out here trying to sell what they believe is a great cup o’ joe.

For the Harry Potter fan

Magnetic Bookmark Set
When you know you’re friend is going to read the Harry Potter series for the tenth time, you can give him or her these bookmarks to prep them for the journey. Since these bookmarks are magnetic, they’ll even help hold the pages together after being used so many times. You can order them here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.13 PM

Harry Potter Ring
Just like an engagement ring, this adorable Harry Potter keepsake will allow your friends to express their commitment to the series. You can find them in both gold and silver on Etsy. For more information, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.18 PM

(Non-Alcoholic) Butterbeer
You don’t need alcohol to have fun, but this (non-alcoholic) butterbeer will definitely do the trick. So kick back this season with this four-pack and watch your favorite Harry Potter movie from the series. Better yet, make a drinking game out of it!

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.23 PM

DIY Hogwarts Letter
I would normally advise against transferring out of USC, but the only acceptable case would be if you were accepted to Hogwarts. You can now help your friend fulfill his or her 11-year-old dream of receiving the ultimate Hogwarts Letter on their birthday with this DIY letter. For detailed instructions, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.29 PM

Chocolate Golden Snitch
Surprise your friends and family with these easy-to-make chocolate snitches. All you have to do is get a packet of Ferrero Rocher chocolates and tape on some paper wings. If you’re looking to reenact the feast Harry and Ron had with the candy cart on the train, you can also look on this website for more ideas of Harry Potter inspired candy.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.38 PM

“Espresso Patronum” Mug
Get your fix of coffee and Harry Potter at the same time with this mug. Once it’s filled, you’ll be able to stay awake all night to reread the entire series. You can find these mugs here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.43 PM

“Always” Mug
You can also give them this mug with perhaps the most iconic line of the entire series. Will a true Harry Potter fan understand the reference? After all this time? Always. You can order this mug here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.39.50 PM

Back to Top

For the health nut

Tea Infuser This sloth tea infuser is perfect for loose-leaf teas, and is perfect for brewing herbal teas. Purchase at Urban Outfitters.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.22.20 PM

Popcorn popper: Air popping popcorn avoids the harsh chemicals found in microwaveable popcorn, and is the perfect gift for your health-conscious friend! Purchase here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.06.53 PM

Fruit Slicer: For the health nut in your life, get a fruit slicer to make eating healthy a little easier. Click here to purchase.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.07.02 PM

Yoga Mat: A yoga mat is essential to the health-nut starter kit. With all of the free yoga classes around campus, you’ll be sure to find that this gift is put to use.
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.07.34 PM

Athletic socks: Colorful athletic gear can combat winter blues. Help motivate your friends to get out of the house for a run and get them colorful athletic socks if your budget is tight.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.07.51 PM

Back to Top

For the foodie

Gift Card to the Whole Foods. What foodies doesn’t love Whole Foods? There also happens to be an awesome new Whole Foods that just opened in Downtown L.A. Go check it out and give some happiness to your stomach.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.49.56 PM

Subscription to NatureBox. NatureBox is a company that delivers a world of carefully sourced and nutritionist-approved foods right to your door. Each snack contains wholesome ingredients. They add no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors. The recipient of this gift will also think about you each month when they receive their snacks, which is a nice little reminder of your friendship.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 9.52.30 AM

Mini cupcake delivery from Baked By Melisa or macaroon delivery from Dana’s Bakery. Send some holiday love right to their door. It’s always fun getting packages, especially if it’s a surprise. Baked By Melissa and Dana’s Bakery both ship all over the country. You can hand select the flavors that your friend would prefer. Both the cupcakes and macaroon’s offer Gluten Free options for those with a sensitive stomach.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.53.18 PM

Personal blender. If you’re a true foodie, you love to get your smoothie on. The holidays are a great time to try new recipes that you may be too busy to experiment with when you’re at school. Give them the gift of creativity with a mini little blender to try out all sorts of combinations. The Magic Bullet is a great option, available on Amazon

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.53.45 PM

Built NY Bento Box. This is a great solution for staying organized when you have to eat your food on the go. The Built Bento Box has multi-compartments and can keep food fresh throughout the day.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.54.13 PM

All In One Kitchen Tool Set. This tool will keep all your kitchen essentials in one place in a really cute, stylish and convenient fashion. This is the perfect gift for foodies who also love to cook, or even send a subtle message to your roommate who always makes a mess in the kitchen.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.55.03 PM

Dinner Party for Two. Lastly, something really sweet that a true foodie would love is simply a homemade meal. Bring in a multitude of flavors they enjoy to make a special gift that let’s them know how much you love and appreciate them.

Flickr/Creative Commons

Flickr/Creative Commons

Back to Top

For the “Friends” fan

He’s/She’s My Lobster Glasses: Who’s your lobster? Be sure to make that clear this holiday season by giving your significant other one of these glasses. You can also choose to personalize them on Etsy with an anniversary date on the back side of the glass. You can find these glasses here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.32.32 PM

Phoebe Tank Top: Every friend group has their very own Phoebe, and now you can make it even more clear by giving her this tank top from Etsy. Don’t worry about people looking at her like she’s crazy if they don’t understand the reference; anyone like Phoebe would draw attention to herself anyways. You can order this shirt here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.32.39 PM

Chandler  Pillows: For those looking to spice up their decor game, there’s no better way to do this than with this pillow. They also come in versions with ROss and Joey. Choose your favorite guy from the Friends squad –– or just buy them all –– and go to sleep with the only man you need. To order a pillow, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.33.01 PM

“I Would Drink the Fat for You” Card: Looking to express the ultimate level of love and commitment? This card says it all. You can order one here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.33.10 PM

Yellow Frame: Another great way to decorate your apartment to match it to Monica’s iconic apartment is to hang this replica of the yellow frame. If you’re a true Friends fan though, you’ll know exactly where to put it. (Hint: You do not need a picture for this frame. You can order one here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.33.24 PM 

Central Perk Mug: We’ve all dreamed of sitting in Central Perk and drinking a cup of coffee with your closest friends. Now you can finally pretend you’re really there with this mug! You can either find it in your nearest Urban Outfitters store or order it here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.33.32 PM

Trip to Friends Stage at Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank: If you are willing to spend a little more money, you can surprise your friend with a once-in-a-lifetime chance to visit the actual set of Central Perk at the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California. This tour will also include tours of several other sets, such as Gilmore Girls, Big Bang Theory and Pretty Little Liars, but sitting on the couch that the beloved cast of Friends sat on will definitely be the highlight of the trip. For more information, click here: https://www.wbstudiotour.com

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.33.39 PM

Back to Top

For the one with a sweet tooth

Hot Chocolate Gift Basket: One of the best parts of the holiday season is curling up on the couch at night with a cup of hot chocolate to watch your favorite movies. A great idea to make sure your friends and family have all of the necessary supplies to make their evenings as comfortable as possible is to give them a DIY hot chocolate gift basket. Simply pick out a seasonal mug, throw in a packet of hot cocoa powder, and pile in any toppings – including but not limited to candy canes, marshmallows, and a can of whipped cream. For a finishing touch, tie a cheerful note to the basket with a decorative ribbon. For more detailed instructions by DIY Network, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.27.34 PM

Coffee Gift Basket: For the caffeine addicts in your life, you can also choose to put together a basket, but with ingredients for the perfect morning brew instead. This is especially the perfect gift to give to fellow USC students or as a Secret Santa gift these next few weeks to help them get through finals. For more detailed instructions by DIY Network, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.27.41 PM

Santa and Elf Hat Candy Jars: For a quick gift that’ll go a long way, you can also put together this simple, yet adorable, jar filled with your choice of candy. All you’ll need is a clear jar, pom poms, felt, glue, and Holiday tape. All of the steps and instructions are mapped out here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.27.47 PM

Candy Cane Hot Cocoa Pop: If you already know your friends have enough hot cocoa to last the season, you can make these Hot Cocoa Pops to complement their drinks in three simple steps. First, stick a marshmallow on a candy cane. Next, dip the marshmallow in chocolate. And finally, top off your marshmallow pop with even more (mini) marshmallows. For more specific instructions and ideas for packaging these treats, visit Boulder Locavore’s website.  

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.27.56 PM

Homemade Peppermint Patties: Homemade treats are always special to give and receive since they require a little more effort, so if you want to experiment with making a classic holiday treat, follow the instructions to make these delicious peppermint patties. For the recipe by The Gunny Sack, click here.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.28.02 PM

Hanukkah sprinkles cupcakes: And finally, you can never go wrong with Sprinkles Cupcakes. Luckily, you can even choose to order seasonal treats, such as these adorable Hanukkah cupcakes and either pick them up at your nearest location or have them delivered to your door. To order your cupcakes, visit the Sprinkles website: http://www.sprinkles.com/cupcakes/gifts/seasonal/hanukkah-gift-box

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.28.09 PM

Back to Top

For the tea lover

Who says you can’t enjoy tea and shower at the same time?  This Etsy company makes tea-scented soaps and lotions, so get your tea-loving friends excited by gifting them some of these divine-smelling goodies. Purchase here for only $6.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.20.14 PM

For your OOTTTH (Outfit of the Tea Time Hour) because tea should be an omnipresence. Your tea-loving friend will be thinking about tea all the time with this gift. Purchase here for $13.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.20.38 PM

Make a cuppa for your trip to the theater to watch The Force Awakens and question your allegiances because the Dark Side is still pretty cool. Where do your Star Wars loyal-teas lie? Purchase here for $20.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.22.08 PM

This brilliant play-on-words brews four to six cups and is deceptively stylish and clever. Ten out of ten, Mr. T recommends because puns are meant to be spoken. Purchase here for $40.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.22.12 PM

For the tea newbie, the person in your life who always steeps the black tea for seven minutes and kills the whole pot. Purchase here for $19.

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 1.22.16 PM

Back to Top

For the traveler

Compact Wallet:This wallet is ideal for on-the-go situations in which you would only bring the necessary items for traveling such as driver’s license, credit card, cash, etc. It comes in a convenient size that won’t take up a lot of space in your bag, or you can even put it in your pocket. Herschel Supply brand wallets also come in different designs and colors for both males and females, with plenty of combinations for you to choose from. Herschel Supply Co. Charlie Cardholder Wallet (Herschel, Amazon): $20

10045-00018-OS_01_cbcf95cd-4ac6-492a-a811-b7a42fd1be49_medium (1)

Travel-size body/face products: Those whose travel destination involve flying will have to make sure their liquid products are at, or under the standard capacity for travel, which in the U.S. is 3.4 fluid ounces (100 milliliters) or less per bottle. If you already know the type of products your gift-receiver uses, you can try to find the travel sizes of their preferred products so they can easily take them through security rather than go through the hassle of fitting the large bottles into their checked luggage. Bath and Body Works Mini Super Rich Body Cream (Bath and Body Works): $6 each bottle

Screen_Shot_2013-10-18_at_10.05.00_AM (1)

World map poster – A world map poster is a simple yet meaningful gift for those who have a passion for traveling. You can take this idea further by adding pins to the places they have been or the places they want to visit. This is a fun, visual way to show how worldly your gift recipient is. In addition, it can double as room decoration when you hang it up on the wall. World Map Collection (Target): $8

14524689

Passport holderA brightly colored passport cover will eliminate the stress of rummaging through your backpack to find your passport. It makes the perfect gift for your friend who is preparing to study abroad for the semester, or your family member who has a big trip planned in the year ahead. There are countless options to find online. Zazzle even gives you the option to customize your passport cover. Zazzle World Traveler Monogrammed Personalized Passport Holder $24.95

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 12.18.15 PM