Remembering actor Alan Rickman

British actor Alan Rickman died on Thursday from an ongoing battle with cancer. From the screen to the stage, Rickman has dazzled audiences with his performances, showing raw emotion and versatility in roles such as Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series and Judge Turpin in the film musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. His death comes as a huge shock and tragedy to the entertainment world, and he will forever be loved in the hearts of millions.

Rickman first began his acting career at the age of 26 when he received a scholarship to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. After his studies, he went on to theatre and was first recognized in Les Liaisons Dangereuses on Broadway in 1987, getting nominated for a Tony for his role as Vicomte de Valmont. The next year, he took on one of his most defining roles as Hans Gruber in Die Hard, which began his career in the film industry, getting roles such as Jamie in Truly Madly Deeply, Alexander Dane in Galaxy Quest and of course, Severus Snape in the Harry Potter series. His performances through the years on both the stage and the screen earned him many different awards, including BAFTAs, Emmys and Golden Globes. Yet, Rickman never regarded the awards as important, but the work. “Actors are agents of change,” he said. “A film, a piece of theatre, a piece of music or a book can make a difference. It can change the world.”

While he was an incredible actor, Rickman was also a dear friend and mentor to many. British actress Emma Thompson wrote,

“His capacity to fill you with a look or lift you with a word. The intransigence which made him the great artist he was — his ineffable and cynical wit, the clarity with which he saw most things, including me, and the fact that he never spared me the view. I learned a lot from him.”

Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe spoke about his experiences working with Rickman.

“Working with him at such a formative age was incredibly important and I will carry the lessons he taught me for the rest of my life and career,” he said. “Film sets and theatre stages are all far poorer for the loss of this great actor and man.”

Fans across the world will remember Rickman for the rest of their lives and careers, never forgetting the man with the rich, smooth voice, or the man that made them cry in the final Harry Potter film. Rickman’s performances and spirit have made a tremendous impact on the entertainment industry, and although he has passed, the world will remember him “always.”