Trojan netters both in top 10 to begin 2016

The men’s tennis team is coming off a successful 2015 season in which it spent several weeks as the No. 1 ranked team in the nation and reached the quarterfinals of the NCAA tournament.

USC men have won five of the last seven national titles and are sure to be serious competitors again this season. The 2016 team is anchored by junior Nick Crystal and senior Max de Vroome, both key contributors to last season’s team with records of 29-6 and 28-8, respectively. In addition, Tanner Smith, son of head coach Peter Smith, and Connor Farren are returning to the Trojans, both seeing action last season with the team.

Although the 2015 team graduated four of its top six players, it is bringing in the third-ranked recruiting class in the nation. Logan Smith and Jake DeVine are the two members of the class, both ranked in the preseason top 100 and are expected to have an immediate impact.

Smith, a five time Pac-12 and two time national coach of the year, returns for his 14th season as head coach. He has led the team to five national titles and under him they have finished ranked top 10 in the final rankings the last nine years in a row.

The women’s team had an even more impressive showing, losing only two matches all season on the way to an appearance in the NCAA semifinals and are looking to improve upon that in the upcoming season.

They are looking to win their first national title since 1985 and enter the preseason ranked second in the nation, behind only defending national champions Vanderbilt, a team the Trojans defeated last season at Marks Stadium. Head coach Richard Gallien returns to USC for his 21st season, leading the Trojans to 18 straight finishes in the top 20, collecting five Pac-12 coach of the year awards along the way.

After only graduating two of their top six players, they are led by senior Giuliana Olmos and sophomores Gabby Smith and Madison Westby. Olmos had a successful offseason in which she competed in several professional ITF Futures tournaments, collecting three titles and an additional appearance in the semifinals.

In addition to the returners, they are adding freshmen Rianna Valdes and Jessica Failla, both ranked inside the top 80 nationally in the preseason rankings. Failla is coming off a successful winter season, where she was able to win the USTA under-18 National Winter Championship. This is shaping up to be an exciting season, with three additional Pac-12 teams ranked in the top 10.

The Women of Troy begin their season Jan. 20 at 1:30 p.m. against UC Santa Barbara at Marks Stadium.