USG Senate approves community block party funding

The USC Community Block Party received funding at the Undergraduate Student Government Senate meeting Tuesday night. Brianna Thorpe, USG director of community affairs, presented the funding request.

The community event will take place Feb. 21 from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., and aims to unite students with residents of local neighborhoods. Additionally, the event wants to showcase the work that USC students do to better the lives of people who live and work in the local community surrounding USC.

The Block Party would include music, family-friendly activities and food provided by local vendors such as Three World Cafe and Simply Wholesome. It would also include appearances from L.A. City Councilman Curren Price Jr., USG President Rini Sampath, and world-famous Zumba instructor Bianca Miyazaki. USG, the Environmental Student Association and Program Board will have their own booths, providing activities during the event.

Thorpe argued that the Senate funding is necessary for the public event to take place, as she had exhausted all other sources of funding, including $1,800 from Program Board.

Senator Dan Li proposed Senate provide full funding because Senate funds can’t rollover to the next semester, and also avoid forcing Thorpe to go through the bureaucratic fundraising process.

“I think we should give all the money Brianna is asking for, because we don’t get to keep any of the money we don’t use.” Li said. “We should make this process easier by funding this project today.”

Sen. Sabrina Enriquez, agreed with the point Li made earlier, highlighting the cyclical nature of funding requests within USG.

“She’ll be asking Program Board for money,” Enriquez said. “It’s all coming from the same pockets. Program Board will come to us for funding.”

The vote to fully fund the Community Block Party passed, with three votes against.

The Senate also saw presentations from the Latino Student Assembly, the Professional and Academic Funding Board, and heard of a potential resolution on making USC a smoke-free campus.