Junior attacker named Player of the Week

For the first time in program history, the Women of Troy are undefeated, winning their season opener.  Instrumental in the team’s commanding victory over Stetson on Saturday was junior attacker Michaela Michael.

In the team’s 21-2 win, Michael notched six goals, an assist and 12 draw controls to earn her the MPSF Offensive Player of the Week Award. For Michael, this award is her second honor in addition to a Rookie of the Week award in her 2014 debut. For the Trojans, this award counts as their 13th overall certificate.

Michael is thrilled with the team’s performance against Stetson and the feeling of being undefeated.

“This is the first time our team has been 1-0. I think we did a really great job focusing on the little things and focusing on ourselves,” Michael said. “We’re undefeated so it feels really good to start the season off clean.”

Leading by example, Michael remains a strong asset to the team chemistry and cohesion.

“The biggest thing was in the midfield for us, on the draw controls and then our midfield ride, I think that’s the moment where all 12 players are working together so I think that was a big thing for us to really be able to bond together as a unit on the field,” head coach Lindsey Munday said.” Every single person contributed to this game because every single person prepared us during pre-season.”

To be successful in the remainder of the season, working together will be key. With a clean start, the No. 18 Trojans face a difficult road ahead with No. 5 Duke on the horizon for Saturday at 7 p.m. at Lebard Stadium in Costa Mesa, California. In a rematch of the 2015 NCAA Round of 16 contest that ended the Trojan’s season, the two teams will meet again in a non-conference battle.

In the game, Michael will remain a crucial component of the Trojan offense. Against Stetson, Michael dominated from all sides recording six goals for the second time in her career. The other occasion was against Colorado in 2015.

Continuing to break records, Michael’s 12 draw controls marks the most in a single game for her own career and the third highest in league history. In one of Michael’s best performances to date, she earned the MPSF single-game record for 15 draw controls against Fresno State last year. In the culmination of the Trojan 2015 season, Michael continued to earn decorations, named to the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association All-American third team on May 18. In their strongest season in their third year as a program, Michael recorded 63 goals, holding the Trojan record for goals in a season.

But for Michael, each day marks an opportunity for improvement. Michael has a positive outlook as the team prepares for Saturday’s contest against the Blue Devils.

“We  have  a lot of work this week, a lot of preparation,”Michael said. “I’m confident that we can do it. We just have to work hard this week.”